Aluminum to Steel Buoyancy Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I ordered a pair of E7-120's. They will replace my "Neutrally" buoyant AL80's (Luxfer S80N). Here are the specs:

S80N Buoyancy Empty .05, Full -5.75
E7-120 buoyancy Empty -1.3 Full -10.3

So, I figure I'll drop 2 lb from what I'm using now? I'll be 3 lb more "negative" at the start of the dive, and about 1 or 2 lb more negative at the end of the dive. Is this correct or am I missing something?

The E7-120 lists a 3/4-14 thread, and the S80N lists a .750-14 NPSM M25 x 2.0. I assume those are the same?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, all new tank threads are the same as far as I know. Only old tanks could be different.

You'll be almost 5 pounds heavier at the start, which doesn't matter anyway. At the end of the dive, you will be 1.35 pounds negative (If you S80N figures are right as being .05 lb positive when empty), so 2 pounds might be too much. Try it dropping 2 first, and if you're light only drop 1.

mweitz:
So, I ordered a pair of E7-120's. They will replace my "Neutrally" buoyant AL80's (Luxfer S80N). Here are the specs:

S80N Buoyancy Empty .05, Full -5.75
E7-120 buoyancy Empty -1.3 Full -10.3

So, I figure I'll drop 2 lb from what I'm using now? I'll be 3 lb more "negative" at the start of the dive, and about 1 or 2 lb more negative at the end of the dive. Is this correct or am I missing something? ...

If it's doubles you're diving, your tanks will be 2x1.35 = 2.7 pounds heavier empty, so dropping 2 or 3 pounds of lead seems to be in order. If singles, drop about 1 pound of lead.

Starting with em as singles. May convert them to doubles in a year or two.

I'll start with 2 lb less since I am already negative on my safety stops ....

Thanks,

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom