aluminum or steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both. Bought the AL backplate when diving steel LP 95's when travelling to warm spots. Too much weight with a 2 mil shortie. Not a serious issue, but uncomfortable. Also every lb counts when travelling with camera gear. Would start with the SS however.

Thanks all for the excellent advice. I'm planning to get an SS BP but with those new wings that don't require a STA.

(I looked at Oxycheq Mach V, but scubatoys says this needs a STA while oxycheq's own web site says it doesn't???)

tceylan:
(I looked at Oxycheq Mach V, but scubatoys says this needs a STA while oxycheq's own web site says it doesn't???)

Yeah, I have the 30# Oxy Wing and I can use it without the STA, it just is not as stable as with the STA. I have seem some people fabricate their own STA out of PVC pipe cut in half, and heated and shaped to wrap around a BP, but I've never used one...Even if a wing does not require a STA, it doesn't mean you won't prefer using an STA.

Tom

I agree with Tobin. Generally, you're going to need some weight when traveling, esp. since you're likely diving floaty Al.80s (+4). The 6# SS plates are often nearly perfect for that, once you add some sort of exposure suit.

The difference in weight between a 6# SS plate and a 2.5# Al. plate is 3.5#. (phear my math skilz!)

So if you can handle bringing a whopping 3.5 extra pounds along with you, the SS plate means no need for a weight belt, and no need to buy an Al. plate that's too light for most cold water diving (with the exception of PerroneFord's doubles, of course).

tceylan:
Thanks all for the excellent advice. I'm planning to get an SS BP but with those new wings that don't require a STA.

I have the MACH V wing and really like it, although I'll admit I kinda wish I had the option of going STA-less which the newer wing offers.

I've heard that ST can order you the new wing if you need the no-STA feature, but their standard stock is still the originals, which require an STA. Should be easy to determine with a quick phone call.

CompuDude:
So if you can handle bringing a whopping 3.5 extra pounds along with you, the SS plate means no need for a weight belt, and no need to buy an Al. plate that's too light for most cold water diving (with the exception of PerroneFord's doubles, of course).
Well, some airlines are getting sticky about the weight of baggage.

I usually use an Alum plate while warm water wimp diving and just add some trim weight pouches on the cam bands.

Thanks for all your help. I just purchased a complete DSS single tank rig with SS BP and LCD30 Wing with Hog harness. :))

Choosing between a ALm or SS backplate is hard. Basically you'll want both if being DIR is the goal. The goal is a balanced rig and unless you always dive the sam etanks and exposure protection you'll want to change backplates to achieve the best balance for the dive at hand

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom