aluminum backplate ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok i have been diving a aluminum backplate for about 2 years freshwater quarry diving i chose it because it set my weighting alot closer with steel doubles and a drysuit. my ? is im going to be doing some ocean diving on the oriskany and some other wrecks in a few months. i have heard that aluminum backplates will start oxidising fast in salt water is this true or will it hurt to do 10 or so dives if rinsed good like all my other equipment or should i get a steel plate for the ocean? i know the extra weight for the ocean is no big deal because im still over weighted with my steel 112s

i just want to make sure that if rinsed good if the oxidation will still have an effect over time?

Don't worry.
I've been using aluminium BP's for the last 8 years.....teaching, rental, pool and ocean. I haven't worn one out yet.

ok kinda what was thinking just wanted to make sure it wouldnt. thanks

Likewise ... I have an AL plate that I've used in saltwater many times with no signs of oxidization.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One key difference between steel and Aluminium is that steel, forms a porous oxide which allows Oxygen through it, so that it will continue to oxidize until there is nothing left. Aluminium, on the other hand, forms an oxide that is non-porous, and will protect the Alumium from further damage

ok i have been diving a aluminum backplate for about 2 years freshwater quarry diving i chose it because it set my weighting alot closer with steel doubles and a drysuit. my ? is im going to be doing some ocean diving on the oriskany and some other wrecks in a few months. i have heard that aluminum backplates will start oxidising fast in salt water is this true or will it hurt to do 10 or so dives if rinsed good like all my other equipment or should i get a steel plate for the ocean? i know the extra weight for the ocean is no big deal because im still over weighted with my steel 112s

i just want to make sure that if rinsed good if the oxidation will still have an effect over time?

Rinse it, and don't leave it in long term contact with dissimilar metals and al will perform fine.

Remember current aluminum tanks are 6061 alloy, which is just ~ok for corrosion and they survive.

What you don't want to do is leave your plate assembled to a STA using SS bolts.

Dissimilar metals + electrolyte = battery.

I've had to use my 10 ton arbor press to get SS bolts out of al plates when they have been left assembled.

Tobin

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have an aluminum BP with an aluminum STA and SS bolts. Never thought about it. Do they make aluminum bolts?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have an aluminum BP with an aluminum STA and SS bolts. Never thought about it. Do they make aluminum bolts?

Yes, but they aren't worth the expense or trouble. SS will be fine, just don't store you al plate assembled with SS bolts without rinsing.

Worse case is a wet salty wing, that's basting an al plate and SS bolts.

A little bit of care and you will be fine.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom