Aluminum 80's made during the 70's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6351 tanks are absolutly fine, but are suseptable to sustained lod cracking in the neck area. they need to have an eddy current inspection done every year during the VIP.

Some good info BUT the eddy current test is only required by DOT at the time of requal (aka Hydro). Eddy current tests done as part of the annual visual inspection are a scuba industry just like the annual visual inspection is a scuba industry standard.

For those who have 6351 cylinders and get them hydro'd in the USA make sure the shop does an eddy current test. Further, make sure the hydro shop marks "VE" after the hydro year which notates that the eddy test was performed.

I have seen several instances where this step was not done on 6351 cylinders.

That's because Deep Six in Vero has to teach their employees about surfboards and skateboards too :rofl3:

I'm guessing you're dealing with Sea Level in Melbourne or Sea Dragons in Rockledge or at least a shop that is exclusively selling scuba.

hahaha of course. I go through Sea Level. He's the only "Tec" shop in the area and I always get great service there. Is Sea dragons still in buisness? I know one shop somewhere around there/cocoa went out of buisness.

Some good info BUT the eddy current test is only required by DOT at the time of requal (aka Hydro). Eddy current tests done as part of the annual visual inspection are a scuba industry just like the annual visual inspection is a scuba industry standard.

For those who have 6351 cylinders and get them hydro'd in the USA make sure the shop does an eddy current test. Further, make sure the hydro shop marks "VE" after the hydro year which notates that the eddy test was performed.

I have seen several instances where this step was not done on 6351 cylinders.

Yes it is an industry standard, and those shops whom chose to only eddy 6351 tanks after a hydro will be liable if the cylinder fails and they have no record on file saying it passed an eddy during VIP. I have only seen a few fail, but is it worth the risk? Probably not.

hahaha of course. I go through Sea Level. He's the only "Tec" shop in the area and I always get great service there. Is Sea dragons still in buisness? I know one shop somewhere around there/cocoa went out of buisness.

Sea Dragons is still around. Say hello to Schott from E-divers. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom