alternate way to buy tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rushrhees

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking around for high capacity steel tanks 95-120 CF and are a bit shocked at the prices, the cheapest I have found is around $300. Now I am wondering is it possible to bypass the diveshop's massive markup by buying a tank from a gas company like BOC (I know I would still have to buy a valve from the diveshop) , if anyone has donethis and has any names or that it would be much appreciated

You will quickly find this is impossible dude. Sorry.

A) Gas companies don't carry scuba sized tanks, not that I've ever seen.

b) Dive shops only make a few bucks if that on tanks. There is next to no markup on scubatanks.

c) The valve/thread issues are going to be differing from 'scuba standard'.

Commonly tanks are loss leaders at dive shops.
Look arround at the online prices and compare.
The tanks I've bought at least have been as cheap or cheaper in the diveshop.

The recommendation I would have would be to hit the want ads on the internet and in print sources real hard and kept at it. Not just the scuba-only types, either. Also, I passed the word around to other divers and friends that I was looking for steel HP 100s. After months of searching, I finally located what I was looking for(w/ my brother's help) -- a very gently used PST E7-100 '03 mfg. The tanks are out there just keep searching/don't get discouraged. Right now I'm looking for a matching PST E7-100. Passing the word around the LDSs or clubs might also help, but I didn't do that. Good luck.

LobstaMan

ERP:
Commonly tanks are loss leaders at dive shops.
Look arround at the online prices and compare.
The tanks I've bought at least have been as cheap or cheaper in the diveshop.
I have been shopping around for tanks too, and I read that Scuba tank prices at LDS are used as a standard for what people believe to be the basis for rest of their pricing. Therefore dive shops will keep their tank prices very low, leading you to believe the rest of their prices are also low. I have looked in BOC & Air Products catalogs (two of our big customers) for scuba cylinders and they don't carry them. So I'm going to be checking out the prices at some of my LDS's and compare them with what I'm finding out online.

Back
Top Bottom