alternate hose config for console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I've been recently certified and have done a couple of shallow dives to improve by buoyancy using rental equipment. One of my problems with this is that I really seemed to need the depth gauge right in front of my face to help me get things right (well, I had a lot of trouble just getting to float at 15 ft). Anyway, I talked to the guy at my LDS about it, and mentioned that I was thinking about getting a wrist-mount computer or gauge. He tried to dissuade me from this, and pointed out that small stuff like wrist mount computers tend to get forgotten. Anyway, he also mentioned that he could switch the config of the hoses so that the console comes out on my right side and the octo is on my left. That way, I can have the BC inflate/deflate control in my left hand and the console in my right (in front of my face). He also mentioned that this had some benefit for donating your octo to a buddy ( I think it was that the hose didn't get twisted around ). I realize that this is definitely not DIR (I don't think my LDS has rental regs with a 7' hose), but is there anything really badly wrong with this configuration. FYI - most of the time I'll be diving with my fiancee, so having unfamiliar buddies with bad communication skills probably won't be an issue.

Comments?

As far as wrist mounted computers and or depth gauges, I don't know how one would forget about these. Was he talking about losing them or just not checking them Almost as soon as I got certified, I got a wrist mounted computer. I liked using it for depth reading exclusively so much that I changed my console to a mini pressure gauge only.

After my computer went belly up in the middle of a dive, I got a loose depth gauge to carry in my pocket. Its great, you can pull it out and hold it in your right hand to use for safety stops or to just check your depth. With my computer back working, I still carry the depth gauge for backup and use it exclusively for shallow diving such as the Keys where all you need it for is the dive log (and grabbing bugs can damage the computer).

By adding a combination inflator/octo, I have even further streamlined my set up and love it.

If you like easy access to depth readings, I would not hesitate getting a cheap wrist mounted computer or bottom timer or even a loose depth gauge to carry in your pocket.

How you set up your gear is up to you, first of all.... BUT I do not understand him trying to talk you out of a wrist mounted computer...... That makes no sense at all. My console has only one gage PSI.... I use my computer for my depth and I look at it quite often. I have several friends who have no console's t all, they use the hoseless computer and they love it. I will be moving to that setup next year myself, if that is what you want and you like it then go for the computer vice the console... I believe you will enjoy it better.

Rich :mean:

Wrist Mount that bad boy. I don't care what your LDS sais, wrist mount your comp/bottom timer. There are no clips to undo, retractors to retract or even things to hold. Glance at your wrist and bang, instant info.

When your task loaded, you don't want to have to clip off what ever is in your hand, then fiddle with your consol retainer just to get your depth.

While your at it, rip the boot of your console and take a look at the crud build up in there. An LDS close to me is actualy collecting old console boots.. they have a nice collection going.

If you can bungee the thing instead of messing around with the watch straps. Then do the same with your compass on your other hand.

Bungee Love:
bungee1.jpg

bungee2.jpg

bungee3.jpg

Another vote for the wrist mount, and just an SPG, no console. I carry my wrist computer (and wrist compass) in my mask box with my mask - they don't get damaged, and it's a clear box so you can see that you've got them, and no hunting around in the dive bag for them. After rinsing and drying gear after the dive - I put them straight back into the mask box.

If you do get an air integrated computer, keep the SPG.

I do just like JimC, bungee my compass and computer. My SPG clipped off to my right chest lower D ring, kinda DIRish. I like it there, all I have to do is glance down and there it is, no unclipping and it's tucked in close.=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom