Also looking for info on the "Army Tanks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm also looking for info on the Army Tanks that were sunk off the Pinellas county coast. Has anybody dove those before. Are they good for newbie AOW divers.

Thanks,
Dave

The ones off Tarpon are good dives and only in 40' of water. The hatches are open engines removed and they are sitting upright on the sea floor. I found two about 75' apart but there are others scattered around. Look for the the relief on your bottom sounder. Pretty cool to dive around since I used to crew in one a long time ago for uncle sam.

N 28 17.089 W 83 01.050

One of the two I gave you numbers for has a free shaft lodged in the bottom of the TC hatch. I wouldn't mind getting it back.

There are also some around St.Pete but I haven't been to those.

Whats a "free shaft", and if I can find it, it's yours.

It's a spear gun shaft that is not attached to the gun via a line.

Someone with good aim and skills can hit and immobilize a fish with one. Unfortunately I had neither but am proud of the fact I shot a tank. The tank in turn swallowed the spear so I think it was at that point we called it a draw.

Vis was about 30 feet when we did it, walls are very silty and easily stirred up. Very dark past 45 feet. There is a line at 35 feet that runs the perimeter, and there are supposed to be things like a buhdda, and a rubber chicken posed at spots. We didn't get that far though, we just stayed on the platforms at 45 and 25. Hospital hole on the Weeki Wachee river is a much better dive. If your ever interested give me a PM, I'd do either of those holes again

Actually might do Hospital hole this weekend. I was going to do the tanks, or the Sheridan, but looks like the weather is going to blow out any Gulf trips

I wouldn't mind Hospital Hole sometime and sooner or later I'll do Hudson Grotto just to see but this Sunday I'm going up to Ginnie. After the storms we had today anything in the gulf is pretty much shot for a while.

There's supposed to be 10 tanks at the St. Pete Beach Reef, but I only have numbers for nine of them. There's also a 200 ft.barge approximately in the middle of them. At one time the reef had a marker, but that was removed about 2 years ago. It's been a year or two since I dove them, but vis in the area is generally in the 10-25 foot range, depth 35-40 feet, and the area has been subject to some nasty red tide the last two summers.

Rich

27 40.72 82 51.83
27 40.71 82 51.84
27 40.73 82 51.83
27 40.72 82 51.82
27 40.71 82 51.83
27 40.71 82 51.82
27 40.61 82 51.8
27 40.69 82 51.81
27 40.69 82 51.82

Their are 10 tanks on each of the sites, offshore Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota counties.

I was freediving on the St Pete Bch artificial reef this late fall, and there are still some nice fish in residence. The tanks have a lot of growth on them, but the visibility has gone down to less than 5 feet with all the fronts pounding in. It was 33' deep with about 20' of vis, but the dark spots of the tanks could just be spotted from the surface.

The Star Island barge is on the east side a little north of the center. The largest cluster of tanks is on the SW end. Even in moderate visibility you can often make your way easily from one to another. There are lots of rubble piles from the old Cory Causway Bridge around them too.

This is a good site in the spring when we often get 30' to 50' of vis in shallow.

Chad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom