Alpha 8 SP5 DVT & Octo for Warm & Cold Water Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkyourmirrors

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing both the Alpha 8 SP5 DVT system along with the Octo8 and I've gotten conflicting information about its use in Cold water. I live in the Pudget Sound and wanted to verify cold water use?

I have the same equipment. Oceanic's "official" line is that it's not rated below 50 degrees, but talking to a rep might give you some additional info. That's what I did when I read about the 50 degree limitation. After talking to the rep, I decided to purchase the equipment. I have used it in water in the low 40's with no problems.

The specs that checkyourmirrors refers to is published in the operating manual - per requirements under CE standards - the SP5 does not have the option for an environmental protection kit. As NJMike attests, plenty use it well below 50 without any problems. With that being said - if you're diving in colder waters, first stages such as our CDX-5 or FDX-10 with environmental kit are rated for and will ultimately provide better performance in such conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom