Alp Maritimes Marine Institute Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you used the upper case DIR you are referring to part of Global Underwater Explorers, GUE, philosophy. The DIR philosophy is very much more than just equipment ect. it tends to be a well-defined complete way of life. It dictates many/all aspects of a diver's life: not smoking, not drinking, not being over weight ect ect.
Now as a general rule I hold GUE members in highest esteem. I feel that this agency is really excellent and I admire their professionalism and even their zeal.
I understand that the original post may have been somewhat misleading due to a simple error of everyday dive speak. Since then that sentence has been changed to now reads:
Never the less, our overriding training and operational philosophy is one of “doing it right”.
I definitely am always trying to be “doing it right” (note the lower case) but we are not GUE hence not DIR (upper case).

Dear Friends,
The last weeks have seen some real great weather for diving just about everywhere in the Northeast. We have been on the move lately delivering several courses in varied locations from Ottawa to the Laurentians/Montreal area and also Quebec City. This has worked out great cause our clients could stay home and take care of business, still get courses done plus we get to visit some very cool places.

A FEW EMPRESS SPOTS LEFT THIS SUMMER: As some of you know diving the Empress of Ireland is an Apex experience. FYI, this year bookings to all operators have been coming in very early and open spots are getting very scarce. The reality is we do have some spots left in July. Kevin McMurray, author of Dark Descent, will be on hand and will be leading a collection of the usual celebrity wreck diving suspects back to the Empress.
For a good idea of diving the Empress, go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress, at the end is FAQ's. If you are on Decostop The Deco Stop go to Canadian Wrecks and read my posts, they will give more answers.
Let me first say that I very much want to facilitate your dives on the Empress. I know that each of you would trip out on the scene.
This is an all-inclusive deal; 6 nites lodging/meal (booze incl.), 5 days of boat fees, all diving and deco gas, all permits, and attractions (museums, Maritime College ect.) EVERYTHING.
Although the Empress is the big deal, there is also the destroyer Nipigon and the vessel Lina Gagne, discovered recently.
Like I’ve always said this is an apex dive so get with me as soon as you can to get those last slots.

QUEBEC DIVING REGULATIONS TAKE EFFECT: As most of you may know, several years ago, the Government of Quebec penned legislation to regulate diving within its boarders. In 2007 the entire mechanism was put into effect to make these regulations come into force. This means that in order to “legally” dive in Quebec you must have a “diving permit”. Further, if you wish to teach diving in Quebec you must have a “teaching permit” in order to issue the diver license along with the agency cert. Before anyone asks, yes there are agents checking on this.
I guess the best way to describe this situation is like a hunting license. Despite the fact that you have one state’s hunting permit if you cross the state line then you need that jurisdiction’s permit.
Alp Maritimes was part of this first group to be mandated to deliver the license.
Fundamentally, if you are a certified, practicing diver with nordic experience it is a simple matter of contacting a mandated instructor and getting equivalence. In the same way those traveling to Quebec to dive can obtain a “visitor’s permit”.
Rest assured that Alp Maritimes along with our associates, Jean Pierre Bouillon will take care of all these issues for our clients coming to the Empress. No worries Mates! We will keep you out of “Scuba Prison”.
One word of caution, if you are taking a dive course in Quebec please be sure that the person who is teaching you has an instructor permit. This will avoid any unpleasant circumstances.

NAUI AUTHORIZES EMPRESS COURSES AS INSTRUCTOR SPECIFIED: Our goal was to set out very clear and detailed course outlines to diving this world-class wreck. While it is true any good and well taught wreck course “might” prepare you, these courses, one for external survey and one for penetration, will definitely have you ready for the Empress. There is no question that the Empress can be an extremely daunting dive but with the right approach it can be a whole lot easier. The course outlines were submitted to NAUI Tech Ops. and have been approved as instructor specified courses. For info on diving the Empress please go to Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc scroll down the front page to the Letters of Introduction and clique on the Empress button.

OXYCHEQ TECHNICAL DIVE GEAR: As you may know our associate Patrick Duffy is just a designing wizard. Just about every month some new product is coming to light. Almost every one knows Patrick as the best source for analyzers but it is his wings that have made him famous. He started out with a 50 lbs double and a 70 lbs double. The reception was just outstanding and now he offers a full and complete line.
We continue to get back incredible reports as to their performance that only confirm our own results. For me the mark of a great wing is how well it “swims” (let’s face it even junk will float you on the surface). Our workhorse tanks are twin 95’s and the 50 lbs is a dream; streamline, well distributed and flawless filling and dumping. This week I got a report of two good divers whose trim had always been too much “head up”, no matter what they did. While on a course they both got the chance to try OxyCheq wings and things got real level real quick. Now we all know that it will always be the “gunner and not the gun” but why fight with your gear.
Check these and all the other great innovative products; go to Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc scroll down the front page and clique on OxyCheq.

HYDRATION FOR SAFE DIVING: O.K. a word of advice. Soon enough hot summer conditions will be everywhere. No doubt you have all heard of the unfortunate illnesses and deaths due to these tropical heat conditions and the effects of dehydration and heat stroke.
Your best protection is H2O!!!!!!! Either you get in it or get it in you!!!!!! Seriously folks as the temperature starts to rise, really turn up the hydration factor. Go for greatness with the water bottle, it should be by your side at all times, it is your best topside buddy. Plus do not forget that good hydration is one of the key elements in preventing decompression sickness.
This is no joke; a good buddy of ours had a very close call in Florida and the culprit turned out to be dehydration. I myself, just the other day, did not follow my own advice and really was floored in the late afternoon.
BTW, simple water is the best choice. Remember, coffee, tea and soda pop have the reverse effect. DRINK TO YOUR DIVING HEALTH.

HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL: It sure will tell your age if you remember this TV show. It comes from the time of black and whites (yes there was a time TV had no color) and you only had two or three channels. Believe me you do not know what you missed. I still remember the show and I sort of think of one part of Alp’s business as HAVE TRAINING MATERIALS WILL TRAVEL.
This old western had Richard Boone cast as a “traveling hired gun”. Well, the reality is that a lot of you folks have need of courses. All too often the impediment is the time/cost needed to just get to where we are. We have often solved this obstacle by doing the traveling and going to where the courses are needed.
The current economic conditions and especially the cost of fuel may make it easier if we do the traveling rather than our students. We are ready to go to where you are and deliver such courses (or parts of courses) right in your hometown. We have gone all over the world as needed so virtually anywhere is possible. We can work around your daily schedule and get you the training with the minimum of disruption to your daily lives.
Ideally, you get together a couple buds and decide what you all want. Give me a shout and we’ll work out a mutually agreeable scenario. Remember we do only custom work and so your needs are our guidelines.

VARY YOUR DIVE EXPERIENCES: One other thing, vary your dive buddy. If you dive the same buddy team you tend to get too used to/dependant/role cast on a particular way. If that person is not there then bad stuff happens.
As the underwater part of a trip is real short and the topside real long we tend to dive with people we like. Never the less, whenever an opportunity arises to dive with someone of acknowledged skills and experience, take it. True, we all know some great divers who have what I’d call “peculiar personalities”. It would be nice if all the great divers were super nice people but some are not. So for the sake of learning, bite your tongue and learn what you can from anyone that is better.

O.K. we got to get rolling. Remember that we are always at your service for all your diving needs.

Regards,
Capt. Gary Kulisek & Rosa LeBreton-Kulisek

ALP-MARITIMES MARINE INSTITUTE

International Diving Institute
Recreational Courses: Basic to Master Diver
Professional Development: Dive Master to Instructor Trainer
Technical Training: Nitrox to Mixed Gas (diver and instructor)
Expeditions: Wrecks, Caves, Mines and Extreme Diving
"All Inclusive Packages"
Equipment; Sales, Rental, and Service
Agents for: OxyCheq Tech. Equipment & GAP Deco Software
Air Station offering: Air, Oxygen, and Mixed Gas Fills
NAUI-PADI-CMAS-ACUC-FQAS-CSAC-DAN-NSSCDS
"Universal Referral Program" SSI-PDIC-NASDS-YMCA-IDEA

Email: info@technicaldivingops.com
Internet: Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom