Alor vs Lembeh/Bangka in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a Bali -Alor direct flight operated by Sriwijaya, on Tue, Thu, Sat
I will be able to take advantage of that on the return.
My LoB ends on a Sunday in Bima. My thinking is to get to Alor ASAP. What would I do with Sunday and Monday if I opt to wait till Tuesday? Hmmm...

Some dives will see water at 20c/68f. I remember mostly seeing 24c/75f. I will be the first to say I'm a warm water wimp, but most people need more than a 3mil and hood.

We were diving in 19-20c on a number of sites in Bali. I was wearing my 3mm but underneath had on a Bare chillguard and a Sharkskin, my bibbed 3mm hood and even broke out my gloves that I've had for years but had only ever worn once before.

I'd definitely be bringing a 5mm to those conditions next time and be perfectly prepared to underlayer similarly.

Guess I'll bring my 3 mm along. I was hoping to get by with just my 1 mm, but 72 degrees is pushing it for me. I also use a dive skin and have a sharkskin vest, but really hate wearing it. I'm diving in the Red Sea first, so my 1 mm is for there.

Does your 1mm fit under your 3mm?

There is a consequent difference between the northern and southern sites. North of Pantar can be 27C while anemone city can drop down to 21C.
When I dive Alor I usually wear a 5mm and a sharkskin underneath, and it's NOT too warm.

My LoB ends on a Sunday in Bima. My thinking is to get to Alor ASAP. What would I do with Sunday and Monday if I opt to wait till Tuesday? Hmmm...
De-gas in Bali for a day after a nitrogen loaded LOB before a dive intensive trip in Alor. Alor can be deep, cold and currenty so it's not a bad idea to rest and unwind in between the 2 trips.

As mentioned above the NAM Air flight can be booked on the Sriwijaya website. Bali 10.50 Alor 13.20 return Alor 13.50 Bali 16.20 Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. We recommend this flight where possible to avoid spending a night in Kupang which is required on the Lion/Wings outbound only leg. Lion/Wings returning to Bali does connect to make it the same day as do flights to and from Jakarta.
NAM also gives 15kg free luggage and a meal.
Colder water, stronger currents and more chance of big pelagics are more common around full moon/no moon.
We are a new dive center with small groups and a fast boat.
Today we had 28C and recently 30C in the north while some sites have been affected by the famous Alor Cold Water Current today with water icy enough to stun reef fish!

Lazy Turtle, you can book those flights because you live in Indo. Not so easy for the rest of us that don't. I have used Nusatrip, which worked out but wasn't able to book my seat in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom