Almost got SHUT OUT on my trip a few weeks back . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zorrr2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Was down as CCV a few weeks back and brought my new OLY c5050 and 105 housing. Now I have been using the camera a lot up to the week of departure so I could get use to it and its controls. I was hoping that this would help when placed in the housing and I took it down under on my first dive. This would have been fine except I did not try RE-INSTALLING the ORINGS I had removed during its none use period (was told that it was best to keep them out so they do not gain any flat spots). This lead to the up comming problem . . .

After carefully packing up all gear and getting it down there . . . I sat in my room and started assembling the set up. Arms . . . base . . . Strobe . . Housing . . . now the reinstallation of the ORINGS . . . well . . the door oring was no problem . . . but try as I might . . I could not get the inner oring to stay in . . . after MUCH frustration . . . I talked with the dive shop camera guy and he informed mre that the inner oring . . is of a DIFFERENT SIZE . . . and OLY does not consider it to be an ORING . . . but a GASKET. Now I had already called OLY a few months ago and ordered two SETS (you notice I said . . "SETS") of orings for the housing. Well . . . they sent me four orings . . for the door . . and none for the inner GASKET. So here I set . . . knowing that at HOME sat what was apparently a GASKET that would fit within . . GRUNT !!!

Why did OLY not send an OUTTER and INNER oring set I do not know . . ??? Fortunately . . . the camera shop guy LONED me a GSKET from a housing that he had there and I was able to use my NEW camera setup.

Sorry for the rant . . . but for new users . . I had not noticed that there was a difference in the two orings . . . so be for warned.

Did take some GREAT PICS with it though . . . and I have learned . . . that I have a LOT to learn about this camera !! Mark

Glad that you got to use your camera! looking forward to the pictures.

What is a 105 housing? I have the PT 015 for my oly.

I'm confused (that happens a lot).

If you have the Olympus PT-015 housing, the two gaskets are identical and interchangeable.

If it's a PT-015 housing, then the two o-rings are indeed identical. I do notice that on mine, when I take them out to clean and lube them, they expand a bit and they don't sit as snugly as they do once the housing has been sealed and on a dive. The pressure of the water on a dive against the door likely compresses the rings into the groove and they can be difficult to remove without a pick.

Sorry . . I do have the PT-015 housing . . . and the ORINGS are NOT IDENTICAL . . . that is what I thought as well !!!!!!!! The inner ORING . . or GASKET as it is refered to is LARGER than the door ORING . . . not by much . . but IT IS !!!! Try as you might . . . I chalenge you to place a DOOR ORING into the inner channel of the housing . . . watch what happens . . . I did . . MANY TIMES . . LOL . . Sounds like there are some others out there that have not removed this ORING . . . do not make the same mistake I made . . :eek:)

Zorrr2:
Sorry . . I do have the PT-015 housing . . . and the ORINGS are NOT IDENTICAL . . . that is what I thought as well !!!!!!!! The inner ORING . . or GASKET as it is refered to is LARGER than the door ORING . . . not by much . . but IT IS !!!! Try as you might . . . I chalenge you to place a DOOR ORING into the inner channel of the housing . . . watch what happens . . . I did . . MANY TIMES . . LOL . . Sounds like there are some others out there that have not removed this ORING . . . do not make the same mistake I made . . :eek:)

Actually I have - many times without problems.

It is as I stated above . . . the INNER ORING (gasket) is LARGER than the oring in the door . . so they are NOT interchangable. I am on the line whith their tech support now seeing if I can get a couple of these GASKETS for future use.

I take mine out everyday - but one at a time and right back in the same place after cleaning, if my memory surves me right when I bought the O-rings both packages are the same and they had the same item number...and I just swapped them out and they fit....strange

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just simply telling you that I've interchangeably used the two original o-rings that came with my PT-015 from the manufacturer and have not had any problems. When I ordered a spare set of o-rings directly from Olympus, they sent me two of the same o-rings as well.

justleesa:
I take mine out everyday - but one at a time and right back in the same place after cleaning, if my memory surves me right when I bought the O-rings both packages are the same and they had the same item number...and I just swapped them out and they fit....strange

I am online with a tech rep right now . . . he has stated that they are DIFFERENT . . the inner ORING is LARGER. Believe me . . I try repeatedly to place a door oring within this channel and it was just to small . . could get three sides in . . but as the fourth side approached . . . it would pop out.

It is interesting . . the tech abmits there are two DIFFERNT SIZED ORINGS required . . . but the ordering people only have one number . . though in there verbage they say . . . requires two orings. . . ????? They acknowledge the door oring . . . but not the inner GASKET . . . LOL . . . seems I have them really digging for an answer here . . . :eek:) I just can not believe I am the only person who has found this out . . ???? STRANGE ! ! :eek:) LOL

Back
Top Bottom