Almond Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandPhantom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Headed to Almond resort at the end of June. Taking the family for some much needed relaxation. I'm the only diver in the bunch and they plan to snorkel. First time to Belize. Anyone been there?

Hopkins per their website: Almond Beach Resort at Jaguar Reef Lodge. Apparently it's been around since 2004 and won Best Hotel in 2010. They brag about their coffee, which I take as a very good sign since most of the coffee in the Caribbean is beyond bad. :D

First time I've seen Almond Beach mentioned on this board, so Sand Phantom it falls to you to write the first trip report. Take lots of topside photos, please.

I've been to Hopkins. It's a small Garifuna village a few miles down a dirt road off the Southern Highway. Hopkins isn't a tourist town but it is authentic Belize. It's a poor village but not as impoverished as many others. From my limited time there I can say the people were very friendly. There are a few resorts, Hamanasi being the most well known on the board. And a large condo development just south of Hamanasi.

You're going to be fairly close to some mainland sights like Cockscomb Basin, the (mainland) Blue Hole and even zip lining if that's your thing--I found out the hard way it's not mine. And there are some nearby Mayan ruins to check out plus the biggest Garifuna village, Dangriga, is nearby. A really cool drive would be to take the Southern Highway up to the Western Highway. Most of that will be dirt but it's a relatively good road. You could visit Gales Point to see the manatees if the rain runoff's not too bad. Then continue on until you get to the Western Highway. Hang a left into Belmopan, then come back down the Hummingbird Highway, which cuts through the Maya Mountains and is a beautiful drive but be aware of the single-lane bridges.

I don't know much about the diving from there. I think the reef is about an hour's boat ride away but there are probably a lot of sites closer in. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I've dived the area the last couple of summers from Placencia and love it.

Have fun!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
Headed to Almond resort at the end of June. Taking the family for some much needed relaxation. I'm the only diver in the bunch and they plan to snorkel. First time to Belize. Anyone been there?

Definitely off the beaten track. My wife loved the Garifuna and spent a lot of her time in their villages. Long way to the reefs though. Have fun

Will definitely take pics and keep you updated. Wife and I will try to hit many of the dry land sites. I plan to do blue hole and some of the other reef dives.

Flew from Houston to Belize city on Saturday. Like most reported, be careful of the tip to the porter who moves your bags 10 yards. From Belize city you fly a short 25 minute flight on Maya air to Dangriga, then a car ride to Hopkins. Almond resort is combined with jaguar reef resort. You have hamanasi dive shop on one side and hopkins on the other.

The resort is really nice and won trip advisor 2013 resort award. Very clean and there are different meal plans. Meals from from $8-$12 and are really good. Due to the storm that passed through a week ago, the water is dirty brown around the beach. We hope it clears out in a few days. The reefs and the cays seem to be ok. People in Hopkins are friendly.

I'll post more as the trip goes on. Diving Thurs and Fri at Glovers and Turneff.

Stay tuned...

Back
Top Bottom