Trip Report Alligator reef Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
viz around 35/40 feet
86 water temp
no bleaching/no lionfish
seas around a foot
slight current
baitball just starting to form and the groupers/jacks are in
nice schools of barracuda are back at this reef!
porcupine fish/green morays
pleasant relaxing 90 minute dive in just a skin
ao1.gif a02.gif ao3.gif ao4.gif ao5.gif ao6.gif ao7.gif ao8.gif ao9.gif

Are these Porgies?
Regulation-wise these are classified as a "Grunt" which they deem different than a porgy. In the picture it is commonly called a "Black Margate Grunt". It is an unregulated fish. It's cousin is the White Margate usually ID'd by the color of the fin tips. Just my opinion but the black margate tastes like trash even if I bleed it out immediately. But the White Margate isn't bad tasting but there are better and easier food choices in the underwater grocery aisle. The Black Margate is very plentiful in the WPB/Jup area dive sites and usually schools together.

Hi @deeper thoughts , did you find lots of reef life in your dive? Last time we were there (2019) it was lacking reef life.

Hi @deeper thoughts , did you find lots of reef life in your dive? Last time we were there (2019) it was lacking reef life.
It was really thick this time
I was pleasently surprised to see the cudas back
About a year ago or more they changed the fishing for them, it seemed to help

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom