Allan Power - Vanuatu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FindingMenno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sad news to come out of Vanuatu. Allan Power came to Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu many, many years ago for salvage work on the SS President Coolidge. He stuck around and started offering diving for visitors on this amazing wreck. Allan was inducted into the Scuba Diving Hall of Fame several years ago.

Allan reached the respectable age of 85.

From the Allan Power Dive Tours Facebook page

ALLAN POWER
25 April 1933 - 17 December 2018

Late on Monday 17 December 2018 one of the great identities in SCUBA diving, Allan Power of Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu, passed away. Allan was well known and highly regarded among his peers and divers travelled the world to meet him and share his passion for diving and love of the marine world that the wreck of the SS President Coolidge provided.
Allan was born in Sydney, Australia and developed a passion for the water and fascination for marine life. He was hard working and ambitious to embrace opportunities and after several careers was drawn to the Barrier Reef and underwater photography. His timeless book The Great Barrier Reef published in 1977 became a classic and copies are still treasured, as it was a book that opened the eyes of many to the underwater glory of the reef. What Allan was showing us involved issues that are commonly recognised today regarding coral bleaching and water pollution.
After moving to Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu for a salvage operation, Allan established Allan Power Dive Tours which grew in stature as a premier dive operation and one that was held in high regard worldwide. His insistence on the welfare for his diving guests was evident in the manner in which he ran his dive operation and the quality of the guides he employed.
It is widely recognised that Allan initiated tourism on Espiritu Santo and was therefore a founding father to economic growth of the island. He was well known and respected by locals on Santo who always called him “Uncle”.
On 8 November 2011 Allan was inducted into the International SCUBA Diving Hall of Fame in the Cayman Islands. This prestigious award recognised his contribution to the diving industry with specific mention to his work and achievements on the SS President Coolidge.
The thousands of divers who have met Allan over the years may recall his incredible memory and detailed knowledge of underwater fish species and passion for sharing this knowledge. Allan was in his 85th year.

I was fortunate to dive with Allan's operation in 2015, and to get a signed copy of the Coolidge book by 'Mr. President'
LW8czGb.jpg

B2sT061.jpg

LW8czGb

Some footage of my visit to the Cooldige, and a short interview with Allan (start around 7:20 mark)

Such sad news. He was just such an all round good guy, who never tired of the thousands of guests who sat in his garden post dive with a cup of tea and a bun. He always had a story or nugget of information to share. Considering the depth and complexity of the site, his diving op has an amazing record for safety - how he managed that in a third world country is testament to his passion for diving and care for his guests.

With other 20,000 dives just on the Coolidge we've lost a true diving legend.

It’s always sad to lose someone who touched your life and so many others. How privileged you were to be able to share such wonderful memories. Thank you.

While I never dived with Allan I did get to enjoy drinking from a fresh coconut while he was drinking tea in his garden in 2016. Such a lovely enthusiastic man who was a major part of Santo. RIP and thank you for the coconut and the chat. A life well lived.

Edit - @findingmennow - thank you. Your video just made the itch come back - I often say I'm not a big fan of wrecks....watching your clip made me remember why some wrecks seem to have some sort of lure that makes me suddenly go on a lust for rust bender....and she's such an impressive wreck. Allan's work in preparing her bones while keeping her dignity intact very well captured in your clip.

Back
Top Bottom