All work and some play!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HardHatAlex

Reaction score
Well, I've been following this board for a few months now, depending on what port we stop at, and if I can get a connection to the net. Seems to be getting easier as time goes on. I'll start by telling a little of who I am and what I do, from there, who knows?

I dive for a living, have done so for about 12 years now, mostly for the petroleum industry, but salvage and research diving seems to be picking up. I specialize in under water welding and cutting operations and spend most of the day breathing pre-heated heliox in a hot water suit. On the some projects, I dive a rebreather for the extra mobility, but only if the job can be done in under 4 hours and in less that 200 meters. (and I don't freeze my brass ones off in the prossess!)

Some people find it odd, but for fun, I rec. dive. Who would have thought that a hobby could also be your work? I'll be retireing in a little over 3 years from now, and hope to settle down in one place, next to water of course.

Well thats it for now, have fun, and be safe.

It's nice to hear from someone who's job didn't ruin his hobby! I'm sure you lots of stories...we'd be glad to listen to them!!

Alex, you have a very interesting life. What came first, work or fun diving? I, too have a hobby that bleeds over into work (or vice-versa); hard to know which part is just for myself & which part is for money. So thrilled to have you among us; I think we can learn a lot from you!

Welcome to the boards! Its very fun here, I'm sure you will enjoy it!:)

Kayla

Your job sounds very interesting. Glad you can still enjoy diving as a hobby. Would be great to hear some of your stories. I learn something everyday reading the post's on here, and glad of it.

Happy Diving :wave:

welcome to the board HardHatAlex. Great job, I hope you got some great stories for us:)

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you enjoy the board. I am looking forward to your post.

Chad

Welcome Alex,

Your career as a comercial diver really interestes me. I have always thought about giving up computers and getting into the industry but always had reservations about how much rec. diving I would do if I dove for a living! Its great to hear it has not affected you in the least bit!

Keep divin and welcome to the board!

Red Rover

Welocome to the board! :band:

That is a lot of diving. I guess some folkes just can't get enough of a good thing.

Thank you all for your warm welcome to this board, and the PM messages I've received.

In answer to some of your questions, I started to dive for recreation before I went professional. Actually it was a spur of the moment thing, and had no pre-planning or career goals associated with it at all.

All the equipment we use is owned by the diver, or by the company which I am a part owner of. This includes our ship, deco chamber, subs, ROV.s and all top side equipment. It's not a cheap occupation, but if you want to get the work, you had better be prepared with all but the most specialized equipment. Most new divers who sign on with us will purchase shares in the operation as time goes on, and eventually buy out a retiring partner at fair market value for the shares.

The average time on the job before retirement is 15 years. Its about as long as your body can hold out, without killing you. But the money is very good,,,if you make it that long. Some don't.

As for stories, well, I had to think about that one for a while. This is a job, and like many of you, after a while it just gets to be the same old same after a few years. There is the usual bad ones, and good ones, but I'll have to think about it for a while before I write something down for all to see. If I write it down, I'll try to make sure that there is a lesson in it for everyone who reads it.

As a side note, I find it very interesting reading the debates regarding training and equipment. It seems to me that some people have taken the fun out of recreational diving by making statments like 'this is the only right choice' or 'if you don't do it this way at all times you are a bad diver'. Too bad, I suppose after time they too may realize that every dive situation is unique and that how you dive a wreck is not how you dive a cave, or how you dive a reef, or under ice, and so on.

Time is short, and I will log back on later, however, if you are posting a question to me, please be patient. It may be a few days or longer before I can get net access again.

Alex Peters

Back
Top Bottom