All emotions wrapped into one week, Plus a Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Didn't know really how to title this one since there are so many aspects to this thread, don't even know if this is the best place to post this thread, but you guy's be the judge.

Most of you, well some, have followed the long lasting saga of me and "future waterdogs" journey into OWC, starting at christmas, well, he's how it worked out.

With all that has taken place I won't go back to far in the story and catch you up were we left off. FLORIDA.

Ok, we finished our class portion and were scheduled to complete our OWC in the springs last month, "Future Waterdogs" was unable to go, so we backed out forfeited our $500 for the trip and rescheduled for May 13-14 for the dreded "Quarry".

(Quarry) First day - water temp 58 viz 8 ft (if that) ( i do now admire the cold water divers, eventhough this is probably warm to most of them). we headed for the platform to begin Dive 1. I began first completing first set of skills, then "future WDs" began hers. First set done, headed out and returned for Dive 2. Dive two complete and looking forward to the next day.

Future waterdogs was extremely nervous that night due that we were going to do mask removal the next day, infact, she had siked herself out before we even got to the dive site the next morning.

Quarry Second Day - water temp 62, viz 12 ft (better), we began heading to the platform (navigation skill) and future waterdogs headed for the surface, she wanted to give up. She did NOT want to do MASK REMOVAL. I was disappointed, she was very disappointed and felt guilty (all the money we had spent). Funny thing, she has done mask removal numerous times in the pool with little to no problem, but I believe the 58 degree water was just too much plus she was very nervous. I didn't want to push her, the instructor talked with her for awhile, and we headed in, I said hey we just won't do it, no problem. Instructor wanted me to continue, so did FWD, so i did. Long story short, I have my "Temp Card".

TRIP REPORT

After receiving my OWC we headed to Miami to see my folks, 3 day's in the key's for some well needed R&R, and (1) dive.

Future Waterdogs and I went to Lady Cyana on Tuesday to check their schedule. Gloria was wonderful. I mentioned I had just received my card and I was a little nervous, she calmed me from the start. Dive set for Wednesday for which I asked Gloria for a guide for the dive (SUE).

Dive 1 - Crocker Reef. Water temp 81, viz 40-50ft, (better than the quarry). Lady Cyana was first class, Don (DM), Rick (captain) were very helpful and filled us in on the dive plan and site. 6 other people were on the dive. Crocker is a mid-level reef about 50-60 ft with a variety of marine life. I spotted green moray's, tangs, groupers, blennies and a few others (I really need a fish book). Current was strong so we began our dive in for an easy return. Being my first dive, nervous, I sucked through the 3000psi in 42 minutes at 52ft (500psi left upon exit) Plus I did my safety stop. Not great, but it was my first dive. I was surprised, dove with 3mm, 16lbs and had little trouble with bouyancy. I said little not none. I kept wanting to "dawg paddle" when I would get close to the reefs, I guess that will come with PRACTICE, right? Made it back to the boat and told "future Waterdog" (she went with me on the boat to be there for me) all about the dive. She was excited for me.

Dive 2 - Davis Reef. (Buddah statue) 25ft reef WITH TONS OF FISH. Spotted 2 southern ray's, green moray, nurse shark, groupers and millions of fish, ok maybe not millions but to a "newbie" they were MILLIONS. Better on air consumption, I know because of depth, 3000psi over 60mins with 500psi upon return. Great dive and really enjoyed it after being nervous about the first one. After exiting I sat down with "Future waterdog" and the log book and went over everything.

Summation: Great first dives, I thought, and not that I was proud of myself but glad to get through the first one if you know what i mean. Lady Cyana was TERRIFFIC.

Future Waterdogs, well we have 35 day's until our official name change (hers anyway) and we head for St.John. We've talked about trying to get her back in the water but it's something I will let her do now on her own, I will be there for her but will not bring it up until she does. I plan on completing a nitrox course before heading to the islands and diving atleast 4 times while we are there.

OWC COMPLETE.

Thanks for all your support board, it really helped, and i will keep you posted on "future waterdog's" progress, if she complete's GREAT, if not, well that's ok too.

Sorry for the long post, i will post a trip report for those who wish not to read a book on a newbies adventure.

Waterdogs - CERTIFIED

Congradulations. Tell FWD not to feel bad about the problems. 58 degree water and 8ft vis sucks for a new diver when they are already stressed about skills. When the water warms up and the vis is better I am sure she will do fine.

Good luck.

Chad

Hurrah! I'm so pleased that it all finally came together for you. Sounds like your first ocean dives were great, too.

If Mrs Waterdogs-to-be wants to carry on, remind her that it'll all get easier once she's done the last two dives. The course can be stressful, especially on top of the pressure of finishing school. Once she's certified, she can stop taking her mask off. Someone may kick it off, of course -- that's why you have to learn this skill -- but that's kind of different. IMO, thinking about taking your mask off is worse than actually doing it. If someone kicks it off, you only have to think about putting it back on! It's worth practising this skill occasionally, but you certainly don't have to do it on every dive, which makes diving a whole lot more pleasant.

Anyway, congratulations!

Zept

Congratulations and welcome to the underwater world. Sounds like you found it to be worth the wait etc.

Only the future mrs waterdogs can decide if or when she will continue. Certainly give her the opprotunity to finish in the warm clear water if she decides to try and finish.

Cheers and blessings to both of you.

Congrats WD! Has FWD considered getting a referral and doing her checkouts in warm 80 something water with clear visibility? Mask removal would be very close to what she's already done in the pool.

Just a thought.

and that it might be easier to do without the added pressure of a significant other around...just a suggestion.

Dee, I did mention it, infact right before we went to the key's. I even took her gear with us just incase she decided to go. I didn't push her on it while we were down there but she did bring it up a few times.

My thoughts, we will take her gear to St.John and I believe she will probably decide there to either do it or not.

I also really thought about getting her to do a Resort Course. That way she's been throught the class portion and can do the skills she would be able to dive for an hour, then after experiencing the the dive she might just complete her OW. I'm shooting for the Resort Course first, then well see what happens after that.

Thanks everyone.

waterdogs

Congratulations Waterdogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't worry about FWD, she'll come around in her own time. I'm sure she doesn't want to give up after all the time & money you've already spent on scuba. she'll come around in her own time. let her get some more practice in...she only has 2 dives to complete & she's done.
Kim

Back
Top Bottom