All dressed up and nowhere to go (or nobody to go with!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather; I too live a long way from sea water and have a non-diving spouse.

My answer has been to own all my own gear. Swim with the gear as often as possible even if it is only in the pool. Fortunately I have some local pot holes and borrow pits that have 30' or so of water in them. I put my spouse on the shore with instructions what to do if the bubbles stop or a specified time elapses. Works like a charm.

Then I take as frequent trips to other places as I can afford given time and money constraints. I rent tanks and weights there AND I warn other divers that I may have some rust to clean off on the first couple dives.

I try to take a Dive Till I Drop trip a couple times a year. Sometimes a Liveaboard; sometimes a land location.

Having all that gear in the garage motivates me to use it. Diving the way I do has allowed me to screen divers I meet. Those who are understanding and companionable generally give me an invitation to come back; and I do.

Just my take on it. Any other help I can give just PM.

Bests

I hear you Miss Mouth_breather, I too don't have a buddy and have to resort to boat diving through charter ships because it isn't that good to dive solo.

Mouthbreather, another thought is to talk to any scuba shops in Sacramento (there must be one or two -- I mean, they have them in TUCSON for heaven's sake!) They're training divers, and those divers have the same problem. And they must know if there are any lakes nearby where people dive -- Berryessa, maybe? I know folks dive in Tahoe.

If you make use of all your resources, you'll find people to dive with. How you'll deal with your husband when you're taking off every weekend to go diving is something I can't help you with :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom