All About Pony Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I ever want to go into tek I won't mind spending the extra $100 if I need a new bottle. I guess my question is, would a 40 be required for a semi-technical recreational dive (like PADI wreck course)? It will be years before I do any true technical diving, but I could see myself taking some things like the wreck course or ice diving after I get some more dives and courses under my belt.

Granted, you can never have too much air, and the 40 is only like $10 more, but I guess I'm just wondering how much the tank would get in your way when you're diving. If you don't even notice it, then you may as well get a 40, but if a 30 is more than enough, then I may as well just get that.

Like anything else if your 40 cuft bottle is rigged right after a few dives you will not notice its there, you have to buy the right brand of bottle that trims out with the reg end lowest slopping upwards under your arm.

Check out my Profile pic you can see what I mean about how the bottle trims out

Now you've got me second guessing the sling :D What you said were my original instincts, that slinging a larger pony would be an annoyance. I know in my OW class my instructor had his pony attached to the main tank, it looked like a 30 or 40 (he said he was a fan of deep diving). Thanks for your help.

You really wont notice a 30 or 40 cubic foot pony slung. When you have them setup right, they are damn near invisible. Even an al80 is hardly noticeable. Now that said, I do agree with the poster that talked about shore entries. If I was doing a lot of those, the slung bottle could be a bit of a nuisance. If you do a lot of boat dives, like I do in the great lakes, I sling all the time. I have tried back mounting an al40...it sucks.

Jim

Like anything else if your 40 cuft bottle is rigged right after a few dives you will not notice its there, you have to buy the right brand of bottle that trims out with the reg end lowest slopping upwards under your arm.

Check out my Profile pic you can see what I mean about how the bottle trims out
ah I see. is that a 40 in your pic?

I don't know, I'm still tempted to do a tank mount. I can see the advantages to slinging (being able to pass off, easy access to the valve, etc,), but I just somehow see it being attached to the other tank as being completely out of your way and very easy to streamline.

But I'm definitely glad I started this thread, no matter what I end up doing, I'm learning a lot.

You really wont notice a 30 or 40 cubic foot pony slung. When you have them setup right, they are damn near invisible. Even an al80 is hardly noticeable. Now that said, I do agree with the poster that talked about shore entries. If I was doing a lot of those, the slung bottle could be a bit of a nuisance. If you do a lot of boat dives, like I do in the great lakes, I sling all the time. I have tried back mounting an al40...it sucks.

Jim

I'll probably be doing primarily shore entries with a few boat trips.

Why did it suck to back mount? To me that just seems like it would be similar to having a slightly bigger tank?

ah I see. is that a 40 in your pic?

I don't know, I'm still tempted to do a tank mount. I can see the advantages to slinging (being able to pass off, easy access to the valve, etc,), but I just somehow see it being attached to the other tank as being completely out of your way and very easy to streamline.

But I'm definitely glad I started this thread, no matter what I end up doing, I'm learning a lot.

Yes its a Luxfer 40 cuft, can't comment on attaching Pony to back tank as I have never done this.

I'll probably be doing primarily shore entries with a few boat trips.

Why did it suck to back mount? To me that just seems like it would be similar to having a slightly bigger tank?

Well it sucked for a couple reasons. First off out of the water the big 40cf tank really made everything go lopsided. In the water it wasn't too noticeable, but it definetly wasn't as balanced as a single or doubles. Another downside is swapping tanks. Some tank mount systems are pretty much hard mounted to your tank, so it makes it a headache to switch tanks between dives.

Well it sucked for a couple reasons. First off out of the water the big 40cf tank really made everything go lopsided. In the water it wasn't too noticeable, but it definetly wasn't as balanced as a single or doubles. Another downside is swapping tanks. Some tank mount systems are pretty much hard mounted to your tank, so it makes it a headache to switch tanks between dives.
The balancing is a good point and something I hadn't really thought about, balancing (especially on land). As for switching tanks, I think you just need to buy a decent mounting kit and it looks pretty easy.

Hmm such a simple yet annoying decision (fortunately I'm in no rush - still a month or so until I'll be making the purchase - and if I do change my mind, this won't be a horribly expensive change to go from tank to sling or vice-versa). Logic and a couple posts here tell me tank mount would be best, but the majority opinion seems to be slinging, so I'm not sure (and then the size is a whole issue on its own). But as I said, I'm learning from the discussions, so that's good. Thanks to everyone who has answered.

Another vote for slinging a tank on the left side. It's easy to do. I hardly notice it's there. I've done boat diving and shore diving with slung AL30's and AL80's and don't have problems getting in the water in either case. To get out on a dive boat, just unclip the tank and hand it up if getting up the ladder is a challenge with a larger tank.

I prefer to charge the pony bottles line prior to entering the water and having it shut off during the dive...on occasion feathering it on the ensure it stays charged.

I have never understood this practice. I did a week aboard the Palau Aggressor about a year ago and left the valve on my pony turned on the whole time.

-Charles

Charles, the idea of pressurizing the hoses/SPG then turning the tank off is to conserve your gas. The slung regulator could get bumped and loose gas. You turn it on when you need it. It's a diving practice that makes sense to me. Of course, this requires developing muscle memory to turn on the tank, pull the regulator from where it's stowed under the bungies and switch over, but practice is what diving's all about....

Nobody has asked this yet : Where do you plan to do most of your diving?

If you're staying local, then these larger 20 and 40 foot tanks are fine for a pony. If you're taking it on the airplane down to the Carribbean then that's completely different.

I suppose you COULD take a 40 down but it would be a pretty miserable experience.

Here's my travelling stage setup for an AL80 on my last trip. It's just a stage strap, hose clamp, and an extra regulator and SPG. No problems with tanks and flying, just put it on a rental tank of whatever size you need and dive.

Attachments

• Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
However, I've also heard that the increased oxygen means you tend to breathe a little slower with nitrox

:confused:

Not anything I've ever learned.....people hoover back nitrox just as easily as air.

To slow down your breathing rate: get fit, get relaxed in the water, get adequate exposure protection to stay warm.

I wish I had a photo of my rig but alas, I'll have to use this one:

http://www.zeagle.com/clientuploads...undant_System/Redundant-System-Installed-.gif

I have this setup with the following changes:

-13 cubic foot tank rather than the 20.
-Mounted on the right side rather than the left as in this photo.

This rig:

- Will sit upright on the dock as-is.

- Will not fit in all tank racks. It depends on the rack. The pony can prevent the bottom of the tank from sliding in or it may get in the way of the clip style holders. Depends on the boat.

- Will be heavier on the right side tending to roll you unless you compensate. I keep 2 more pounds on my left than the right to compensate.

- Is reasonably easy to move the whole thing to another tank. You just have to grab it in the right places. I can do it by myself unless the boat is really pitching.

- Travels just fine. I take the Razor 1st/valve out of the pony, put the blue plug in the tank and have no issues with airlines.

Charles, the idea of pressurizing the hoses/SPG then turning the tank off is to conserve your gas. The slung regulator could get bumped and loose gas.

I've heard this before and just don't buy it. It's always that mythical "something" that bothers me. "It could get caught on "something" and go into freeflow and you'd never know it." Yes, I would know it. I can hear a leaky O-ring so I'm quite sure I'd hear a 2nd freeflowing. Not to mention the mass of bubbles all around me. I've been diving this pony for quite a while leaving the valve on for days at a time. Never once had any problems.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom