All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there such a beast? I've seen it referenced a few times in different places, and I thought the Explorer wing was only available in 40, 55 and 70lb lift sizes.

So are the 65 and the 70 the same wing, or are they totally different wings (minor details aside)?

Originally posted by bengiddins
So are the 65 and the 70 the same wing, or are they totally different wings (minor details aside)?
The new wings are a different shape and they have a different corrugated hose and inflator mechanism with the connection on the inside (medial.)

I have the 65# wing. I just got it at used at a great price and I love it. I have only used it a couple of times. I used it once with a single tank.....big mistake. It did alright but it did not deflate quite like I wanted it to. It lifts alot, and I am very happy with halcyon's quality. This is my first wing that I bought and I plan to get the pioneer when the budget suits me..........not the near distant future:) If you have any questions about the wing, shoot me a PM.

ADAM

Im getting ready to order me a fredt heavy ss plate.Im gona use a halcyon 36lb pioneer wing.Just wanted to see if the wing comes with the tank straps or are they purchased seperately.If thats the case ill get some of the good scubapro ones from fred.

Also how good is the built in single tank adapter.I have read where some guys are still using a STA.I dive mostly cold water in a drysuit so the STA from fred would be nice from a weight standpoint but do you think its really necessary.I dont want to waste money buying a STA if i dont really need one.Thanks everyone!!

The Pioneer with the STA seems to work good. I am a new owner too and with 6 dives with it(cold water drysuit), it is working as promised...

I think if you purchase the wing outside of the full MC package you have to buy the tank straps separately but confirm this with others.

Pull dumps on their inflator hoses? Do they have valves at the bottom for dumping while upside-down?

I read something about Halycon supplying a "bungee" for keeping the power inflator tied down to the shoulder strap... That sounds pretty homemade, doesn't it?

I've never dived with anything but a standard BC, so back inflates and backplates are completely new to me.

Also, is it possible to get a backplate setup with integrated weights? I guess what I'm really asking is if I can get the weights off of ME and onto the rig, and still have a system where it's easy to dump weight in an emergency.

This would be my first BC setup... Everything I've worn before's been borrowed or rented.

I'm also wondering if I'm unique here... Everyone seems to be swimming with so much weight! I'm 6'1" and started diving a month ago at 230 lbs or so... I'm now down around 218 or so. Having always worn about ten pounds, but now sporting a new 3/2 mil wetsuit, I thought I'd go and see how much more weight I'd need.

My sweetheart was doing some pool work for her certification, so I took the opportunity to climb in with full gear and see how my boyancy was, without a current or wave intervention.

In PADI we're instructed that with no air in your BC and a full breath of air, you should float at eye level with the surface of the water.

Imagine my surprise when I found that I took a whopping six pounds off! Now I'm swimming with about 4 pounds...

Okay, I've got some disclaimers here... Firstly, this is a 3/2 mil suit... Many people are diving with 5 or 7 mil... But still...

Also, this was POOL water... I'd be much more boyant in salt.

Lastly, while the feeling of "lightening up" was GREAT and made the experience sooo much better, I found that breathing now affected my boyancy more than ever. Also, I found out that I had a leaky inflator valve... After just a few minutes, I had to dump again to maintain boyancy. I can understand, too, that some people like more weight so that if they want to go fully negatively bouyant so that they STAY on the bottom, particularly useful in a stong current...

Still, I was floored to find that I was using just 4 lbs WITH a wetsuit. The BC was a standard jacket style, and other than a dive tool and a whistle and a min PCa dive light, I had no gear to speak of. I was diving with your standard run of the mill AL80. (Maybe I was using a steel 80?) Maintaining bouyancy was easy and a blast.

I can tell in freshwater with a current I might want to go up to five or as much as seven pounds, max. Heck, I might even want to stay at 4 pounds... The feeling was wonderful and natural, and with a wetsuit, you become more negatively bouyant as you sink, right?

I don't know what this would translate to in salt water... Somewhere between 10 and 15 pounds, I believe.

My point is this... I'm thinking about purchasing gear... Especially since I don't seem to need (or like) to swim with much weight, I'd like to go with weight integration. Seems like I'd get all the benefits without the disadvantages. And sometime in the next year or two I'd like to start with doubles. Does that mean I'd HAVE to go with a backplate at that time? If so, I might as well save myself the money and go with a BP now. But given the weight situation... Will a BP, even WITHOUT weights, be too heavy for me?

Keep in mind that an AL80 when empty is 4-6 pounds bouyant. You should do your bouyancy check the way you described with an almost empty tank or at 15' where your wetsuit isn't as bouyant.

I use about 5 pounds of weight with a 3/2mm in freshwater.

3/2 wetsuit, Halcyon SS BP and 27# wing, I use a 2 pound weight on the left and a 2 pound canister light on the right.

No pull dump on the inflator hose. Dump valve on wing at bottom.

Halcyon offers the ACB integrated weight system.

Check out www.halcyon.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom