Alkin W31 (2008 Model)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
According to what is on paper. The Alkin 31 looks to be a great small home compressor.
3 stage instead of 4
1200rpm instead of 2800rpm

According to real world owner experience. I have read a little bit about the "issues" of the previous model year W31.

Anyway. Does "model 2008" address those issues?

AireTex W31 SCUBA / Paintball Compressor 2008 Model

New 2008 models have improved oil system with larger oil capacity and an improved crankshaft / Flywheel design. 2008 model now includes third stage water separator and a priority valve as standard equipment.

BTW. I have a brand new MaxAir 35 Gas Honda with zero hour sitting in my living room.

For what its worth, I have a 2008 model and have run it for 54 hours without a major problem.
I changed the oil at 10 hours, 27 hours and 53 hours.
I changed the filter at 18 hours and then again 45 hours.
The only problems I had with the unit were the plug, and a Lawrence factor filter. It was tough to get an outlet for this plug. My local Home Depot didn't stock the outlet I needed. The LF filter broke off at the bottom nipple when I tried to remove the filter from the housing.
So all in all I'm happy with the unit.

Jim Breslin

I dont know, but I have been looking for a new commercial compressor to suppliment the other two K14 Bauers we have.

I would be swayed to a Bauer again, but here the Bauer importers are ridiculously overpriced and so I have been speaking to the Alkin distributors, I read the stories on Alkin here and elsewhere and they wernt good, but after discussions with the importers of Alkin I was assured the issues were only related to the small home type machines, and HAVE been rectified on recent models.

I am not really a compressor fundi, but from what I have seen of the bigger Alkins there appears to be no problems and some of them have been running for years in horrendous conditions (hot,humid exposed to sea air etc) with little or no problems.

The most substantive issue is that the crankshaft is only supported on one end. So really the W31 is never going to be a continuous duty machine as marketed. Additionally, the filter capacity is dangerously overhyped, so ignore their temperature correction table and using your own humidity indicators. Change the filter as soon as the indicator changes to 20% RH otherwise your AC bed is getting too wet to function completely. A second filter tower is a wise addition.

Anyone else have any solid facts regarding the upgrade/provision on the later 2008 W31?

UaVAj; you have been told that the new compressor has been run for 54 hours without problem. You have been told that the crankshaft support has been improved. You have been told by the retailer that the filtration has been improved with a BP valve but we said that the total capacity remains somewhat light for continuous running. You have been told that it still has a strange electrical plug which the retailer insists is "standard" (search for thread). The retailer says that the oil capacity has been increased.

Considering that the latest model has been available for a relatively short time, what is it you are requesting, a Consumer Report?

UaVAj; you have been told that the new compressor has been run for 54 hours without problem. You have been told that the crankshaft support has been improved. You have been told by the retailer that the filtration has been improved with a BP valve but we said that the total capacity remains somewhat light for continuous running. You have been told that it still has a strange electrical plug which the retailer insists is "standard" (search for thread). The retailer says that the oil capacity has been increased.

Considering that the latest model has been available for a relatively short time, what is it you are requesting, a Consumer Report?

A consumer report would be nice.

Sources say that this compressor achillies heal is the crankshaft. That the crankshaft is only supported on one side.

If anyone has the answer. What I would like to know is: what exactly was done to improve the crankshaft? Is the crankshaft now supported on both side?

I will see if I can track down the manufacturer and ask someone in their technical support department for the details of the crankshaft upgrade. A replacement part diagram - like the ones that comes with a new compressor should answer my question.

I do not have any experience with the Alkin but my 51 year old Luchard has the crankshaft supported on only one side and it has never been a problem. Just being supported on one side is not in and of itself a problem. Has there been problems with it or is it just someone's opinion that it might be a problem. Unless you can determine what the improvements were and why were they were thought necessary you don't know if they were related to the crankshaft being supported on one side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom