Aliwal Shoals Or Protea Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elbuzo

Registered
Reaction score
I will be at SA by the end of july/beginning of august and i need to choose either one destination between Aliwal or Protea .

My main interest is photography so i will prefer a place with decent vis. and sea conditions and obviously with sharks that allows to get close ( mainly raggies and tigers ) , also a dive operator used to cater serious photographers .

Another factor to consider is activities available around town ( Shelley Bay or Umkomaas ) for my non-diving wife ( could be nice scenics , whale/dolphin watching trips , natural reserves or parks close by , good resturants and nice place to stay )

Could you people can help me based on your experiences ?

I will greatly appreciate any help

Regards

Jose Alejandro

Hi Jose

As far as viz and conditions go Aliwal is most likely your best bet. Protea is not always good but you are more likely to see sharks (Raggy,Zambezi and Hammer Heads).
The reef at aliwal is also better than Protea.
As far as your wife Shelly Beach is the better place has lots of shops with a large shopping centre...movies, restaurants etc.

Regards

Des

My boyfriend and I dived both last year - two long week-ends at Aliwal Shoal and a week at Protea Banks. What we were unaware of is that there are only two dived sites at Protea - we paid upfront for 10 dives each and ended up doing the same site 7 times. We were quite bored by the end of it. I definitely preferred Aliwal for variety. I agree with Andy - hire a car and you can drive between the two - that way you can keep yourselves busy when not in the water!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Protea dive sites - you think 5 dives is enuff ?

I think five dives is enough - Protea is known as a "hit or miss" site - you could have the best dive of your life there - but you'll also have a number of arbitrary dives!! We saw quite a lot of raggies. Aliwal has more variety with two wrecks and number of other dives.

Thanks for all the info.

Someone know the driving time between Shelly Beach and Umkomaas ?

Des and Bbul , based in your experience , can you recomend a particular dive operator and a nice place to stay in both places ?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom