Alexander Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mxracer19

Contributor
Reaction score
How far back does that little cave in alexander springs go? Is it even a cave? or just a hole in the rock?

thanks
-Matt

It does not go very far, 10 feet or so. Swim in next time and you will find a nice hiding spot to give your buddy a fright or to hide from the large gator some of my buddies encountered! N

yeah, it doesn't go too far.

it branches left and right. to the right, is a smallish round "dead end"

to the left, you get a little sandy corridor, and then sort of a "stump" coming
out of the floor, around which the cave dead ends.

it is possible to swim into the "stump" room and turn around.

however, the rules of the park do not allow penetration of the cave anymore,
so even if you are cave certified, you shouldn't go in there.

holey crap you can squeeze into that little hole? We are talking about the hole in the center of the sink right? I rememeber it being but a little slot that you can barely get a arm into. You cave people are determined.

this is the opening on the wall itself... it's actually pretty easy to get into, if
small.

i don't think we're talking about the same opening

Not the boil hole (between the lack of size and the water boiling out, it would have to be a determined diver to go in). The little cavern slightly offset from the main boil. It also has a small current coming out, I pulled myself in. It's small though. If you are curious, you can see most of it just by sticking your head in and looking around.

I can get most of my body in the cavern up to about my knees or so :wink: Even David the skinny said he couldnt get around the back of that hole and didnt intend to even when free-diving in case he got stuck.

He did tell me of folks who have gotten into the boil a long time ago and managed to reach about 120ft down into it - although i think it was no-mount at best.

We might be diving there on sunday, me checking out David in his doubles prior to his intro class and also getting wet again for the first time in a long time.

BTW Andy are you free saturday or sunday 23/24? David could do with a buddy for his intro class those days, i am going to try on the friday, but that is the only day i am free.

Andy, where in the park rules did you find that?

I have spent a little bit of time at this spring,, both scuba & freediving. Freediving I COULD have made it past the stump, but either my lack of nads or my good sense (nonexistent) stopped me. The right hand branch MIGHT be passable in sidemount with small tanks worn by an anorexic. Maybe. Closer to the main boil is another low cave that connects to the stump cave back to the right. I talked to one guy who said that he had passed through the connection while freediving. I am not sure whether to attribute the definite sag in his shorts to brass or a collection of male bovine excrement. The same cave also turns left and exits into the area kind of behind the large boil, in the big crack that you can drop down into.

scubafool:
Andy, where in the park rules did you find that?

either a sign somewhere or a brochure... i remember reading it and thinking
"dang... good thing i didn't read this before going in there."

now in good conscience, i can't

simbrooks:
BTW Andy are you free saturday or sunday 23/24? David could do with a buddy for his intro class those days, i am going to try on the friday, but that is the only day i am free.

yeah, i could dive saturday for sure, maybe both if i ... beg? bribe? sweettalk? ... my wife into it

who's your instructor gonna be, David?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom