! alcohol !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem that this is like asking how much alcohol one can safely drink while pregnant!
As has been well pointed out above, the risks are well documented. There may be a "safe" level, but it would really be foolish to think about finding that level, if it even exists.
We have so much still to learn about DCS. The role of ethanol as a risk factor is way down the list. :nono:

Best hangover line I heard was:

Ohhh, I feel so bad, I just had a conch out run me.

what do you say about this...

Don't drink and dive!

or

NO! to drunk diving!!!

=-)

joele once bubbled...
what do you say about this...

Don't drink and dive!

or

NO! to drunk diving!!!

=-)

Darwin

I now people that have drank while diving...meaning they went down to 40 feet or so.....took the cap off a bottle of beer and drank it while siting on the sea floor....

that can't be good

Tommy*

TTT once bubbled...
I now people that have drank while diving...meaning they went down to 40 feet or so.....took the cap off a bottle of beer and drank it while siting on the sea floor....

that can't be good

Tommy*
... :wink:

Everyone is talking about the effects of drinking before diving.. which is obviously a bad idea. What i am wondering is if anyone has any information about the effects of drinking after diving..

For instance, a few days ago i went diving with a friend and then that night we went to a party. I didn't drink nearly as much as I ussually can and I wasn't barely buzzed but I got sick. I was wondering if this could have had anything to do with diving before hand and also possibly because my bouyancy wasn't right and it possible that i asscended a bit too fast. if anyone has any help or info i'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

Hello interesting post,

I do not know the indepth mechanics of alcohol and its effects on diving .However i do work as a dive medic on a dive/party island in Thailand and time and time again its the main factor.

I can also confirm that in 70 percent of patients treated at our recompression network alcohol was consumed useally in excess the night before, The obvious fatigue and dehydration result and people that dive with hangovers are getting hurt. Unfortunatly the same group normally push there computers to the max as well.

bottom line is alcohol prior to diving is asking for problems.
On another note ive treated a diver who was so hungover that during the dive they vomitted and had a rapid ascent due to panic this was an instructor that had they been mentally sharp not hungover they would of simply reacted to the situation correctly

Cheers
gary :wacko:

I have a couple of friends who swear that diving cure their hang over very well. We don't drink and dive but some people in our group do drink at night after diving is done then dive again the next day, usually at least a good 10 hours after the last drink.

An average person will metabolize roughly one 12 oz beer per hour so if you have a few beer in the evening, theoretically by morning the alcohol should be gone. Of course there are still other residual effects to concern with, dehydration, physical and mental condition such as hangover, lack of sleep etc.

I am not aware of effect of alcohol after the dive but let say that you drink a couple of beer, the amount should not alter or affect the chemistry in your blood all that much to affect off gasing. However the alcohol effect on the neuro system combined with the extra amount of nitrogen still in your body probably could do something. This is just a guess though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom