Aladin Tec 2G battery life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I own an Aladin Tec 2G dive computer that is now 341 dives old and working fine. The first (original) battery lasted 232 dives (all tropical warm waters) before the battery life indicator dropped to 3 bars out of 5, which is the manuals' suggested point for battery change. As it happened, this was right at the end of my dive trip to Sipadan and I planned to get a fresh battery from my LDS as soon as I reached the UK. Somehow, I completely forgot about it and did not realise my mistake till I actually reached Truk 5 months later and checked my computer. I immediately replaced it with a new battery from the Dive Shop at Blue Lagood Dive Center in Truk and it worked fine.

That battery is now 109 dives old (again, all Tropical) and the battery life indicator is showing 4 bars. Theoretically it should be safe to take with me to Raja Ampat next month with up to 40 dives scheduled. But as I bought this battery in Truk rather than in a Western country, should I play safe and have it replaced at my LDS before the trip?

Fortunately Aladin uses simple CR2450 battery, which you can find anywhere. You will need to grease or replace O-ring when you replace battery.
So I will suggest just to take with you new battery and replace if it will be needed.
Other side - if you worry about self replacement, you can spend 15$ before trip and sleep quite :)

Fortunately Aladin uses simple CR2450 battery, which you can find anywhere.
I know that. But what I am really asking is whether I can trust a battery that was purchased in Truk Lagoon to have the same lifespan as one bought in the UK or USA. I do not want to have to take a computer apart on a trip for the reasons that you have mentioned. I might be able to do surgery but when it comes to mechanical devices, I am all thumbs.

I think I'll play safe and take it to my LDS and have the battery replaced professionally. In fact, I'll do it today.

I (almost) always carry a spare battery for each of my dive computers (as well as ones for my control handles on my underwater housing). I can't speak for the battery you bought recently but it is always possible a battery has sat on the shelf for some time.

The computer definitely switches itself off when dry.

Big battery consumption is NOT my problem; if anything, the other way around. As I have explained above, the battery power indicator is still showing 4 or of 5 bars after 109 warm water dives. According to the manual, this is safe and even the guy in my LDS thought so. My worry is whether a battery bought in an out of the way shop in Truk would be as reliable as one purchased in a Western country.

the battery power indicator is still showing 4 or of 5 bars after 109 warm water dives.
Just FYI : According to my Aladin description, there are Total 6 bars (not 5).
And mine shows 5 from 6 after 150 dives during 4 years.
E4EmnV.png

Just FYI : According to my Aladin description, there are Total 6 bars (not 5).
And mine shows 5 from 6 after 150 dives during 4 years.
E4EmnV.png
My mistake. In any case, 4 out of 6 is also designated as safe for diving. This is a 11 day trip with up to 40 available dives, and in a place like raja Ampat I am not planning to sit out any of them.

i have problem i have stored aladin in wet towel on winter pool exercises and the battery was emptied
It should be not a problem, maybe small issue :)
You will only need to buy new battery for $5.
Try to do it in battery specialize shop (may be for $6-7 :)) and not on ebay for $3.
In this case more chance that battery will service you longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom