Alabama Point Jetties Dive Report 11-12-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with philmotreck and one of his buddies today at 10AM and headed to UWW to pick up some rental gear for them. We got out to the jetties and made it to the water around 12Noon? Air temps were in the mid 70sºF so the walk to the water wasn't unbearable in a 3mm. Water temps mimicked air temps. The wind had picked up out of the east and were blowing hard, but the jetties provided us protection on the outside(westside) of them. Surf report was calling for knee-high waves around 8AM, but they were rolling in waist-chest high at unprotected parts of the beach(around headhigh by the time we were out of the water). We dove between tides, but the water still had a nice aqua color, unfortunately the bottom was kicked up alot and visibility varied between 6"(inches) and ~5'. Surge wasn't too big of an issue on the unprotected side, but got worse the closer we got to the point.

Maxed depth at 16' and the dive lasted for nearly 30 min.

Saw a single sheepshead, but it was only within visibility for about a second. I also spotted a school of spades when we turned the dive, but they zipped out of visibility as soon as we turned around.

Another dive to make us appreciate the days where vis is good, seas are flat, and we actually see alot of marine life.

We checked out the water near the Whiskey Wreck, but it looked kicked up with rough surf and a pretty hardcore riptide - so we opted to just shower the gear off and eat at Bahama Bobs while downing a few beers. :D

That must have been the same sheepshead I saw over here - just barely in view and gone.

I'm ready to head back to the springs until the salty stuff clears up a little. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a $75 boat ride after I get some practice under my belt with the new strobe.

Yeah, I'm really itchin to get on a boat too. The boat I usually take here isn't gonna run until about spring from what I'm hearing, so I'm tossing the idea around on diving out of Destin or Panama City.

Got a weekend in mind you wanna go? :D

Don't have a schedule in mind yet. I know I'm going to get a couple dives in at the springs to fine tune that strobe so I'd say at least a couple weeks. Both Scuba Tech and Emerald Coast said they would take a boat out with a minimum of 6 divers. Surely we can get up a group that big.

Brought my gear to the shop to get serviced today, so I'm out for a week or two atleast. Dec 3rd I have dives to finish my Rescue class, so thats out as well. Another words, it'll be a few weeks before I'm ready too :D

I can probably round up one or two people from out here for a boat trip, 6 people shouldn't be a big deal.

Couple surface shots.

First pic from the parking area across the channel.

Second pic from just off the beach near the Whiskey Wreck, philmotrek is a tall dude, the waves were a bit rough :)

We have a boat going this weekend, You should try us we are not that bab of a bunch. LOL

Dropped my gear off at UWW to get serviced and I have Stress and Rescue for the next 2 weeks. Definatley looking to get onboard in December though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom