Alabama Point Jetties and Whiskey Wreck Dive Reports 3-10-7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with Tracy around 2:30 on Saturday afternoon at Alabama Point for a dive at hightide. Water was quite blue from the surface, surf was low, and there was alot of traffic running in and out of the pass. The traffic caused for a rather loud dive :p Visibility was a solid 15' and water temperatures were very comfortable at 64F. I dove my 3mm without a hood and didn't regret it. Lots of big sheepshead around the point, saw a couple of pufferfish, blennies, scad, sandfish, and lots of jellyfish. Hit a max depth of 30' for a dive lasting just short of an hour. There were alot of fishermen on the jetties and we had some fun pulling on their lines when we came across them. Had a great dive onsite, not much has changed since diving this site last year.

After a halfway gear down, for transport, a stop at the gas station for some drinks, and a bit of driving to get us to the Whiskey Wreck, we were back in the water 51 minutes after exitting from our first dive. Water temperatures were still 64F and surf was running shin high, at most. Visibility around the wreck was around 10', some areas slightly better. Lots of fish coming around, pinfish are all over and a few mangroves here and there. Still lots of big sheepshead and the occasional pufferfish. There were a few jellyfish present, but they were easy to avoid here compared to at the jetties(which pushed them by quickly due to current). Sponges are covering alot of the wreck at the moment, with blennies hiding away inside the growth. Hit a max depth of 17' for a dive lasting 43 minutes.

Mandatory dive debriefing took place at the official debriefing location(Hooters).

Most definately :D

I wore my 3mm and my hood-vest at the Destin jetties. I was quite toasty. The water temps are on the way up :thumb:. I just hate the next month when the water is too cold to go without suit but air is so hot during the walk to the water. I can't wait to get back to trunks and T-shirt!

Is a lot of the Whiskey still visible or has it covered up some this winter? Since I am one of those warm water divers I have not seen it in a few months.

Mike

Some areas are more uncovered, while others are slightly less covered. Some of the interior of the wreck has washed in a bit, so you don't see as much ballast on the interior, but the starboard and bow sections are more uncovered. The stern section with the rudder seems to change weekly, but on Saturday, it was visible.

Still a great dive, way better than it was this time last year, much much better than in 2005(non-existant).

I need to meet you fellows there sometime soon. It would be nice to harvest a sheepshead or two.

Mike

PS I finally got me a digital camera and case. It is an Oly 5000 and Oly case. Will probably be bugging you with some questions as I try to take a few pictures.

Housing you don't need no stinking housing.....use duct tape:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom