Alabama Gulf State Pier 8-21-5 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bill and I launched the Jellyfish from Boggy Point Marina(Orange Beach) at ~6:30AM and headed out Perdido Pass and then West to the Gulf State Pier. The seas were glassy and there wasn't much boat traffic... yet. Visibility at the Pier was ~20-25' and the water temps were in the high 80ºsF(we dove our swimtrunks). The bottom was shallower since Arlene, Cindy, and Dennis so we only hit 15' with a bottom time of 100minutes. Lots of Mullet, Mangrove Snapper, and Bluefish swimming around. Saw some small Jacks, small Sheepshead(a few big ones), Pompano, and small Flounder. I took a polespear along with me and picked up 3 barely legal flounder and passed a few up that I knew were too small. Bill bagged a nice sheepshead with his speargun(thanks for the fish Bill!). Jellyfish weren't to be seen :D There were all sorts of tropicals along the barnacles and corals on the pillars(damsels, butterflyfish, spadefish, blennies, gobbies, big ole toadfish). There were also some large stonecrabs out. I think I'm going to take the camera next time instead of any kind of spear.

Decided the boat races would make for a bumpy ride back with all the traffic so we continued West to the West Pass channel(Gulf Shores) and beached there.

By that time, I was hungry and enjoyed some wings before heading out to watch some of the boat race. I parked where the Outrigger used to be and walked down to the Alabama Point Jetties. The big loud boats were fun to watch, but grey skies appeared with some lightning and I think they had to call the race - atleast thats what someone told me.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Bill and I launched the Jellyfish from Boggy Point Marina(Orange Beach) at ~6:30AM and headed out Perdido Pass and then West to the Gulf State Pier. The seas were glassy and there wasn't much boat traffic... yet. Visibility at the Pier was ~20-25' and the water temps were in the high 80ºsF(we dove our swimtrunks). The bottom was shallower since Arlene, Cindy, and Dennis so we only hit 15' with a bottom time of 100minutes. Lots of Mullet, Mangrove Snapper, and Bluefish swimming around. Saw some small Jacks, small Sheepshead(a few big ones), Pompano, and small Flounder. I took a polespear along with me and picked up 3 barely legal flounder and passed a few up that I knew were too small. Bill bagged a nice sheepshead with his speargun(thanks for the fish Bill!). Jellyfish weren't to be seen :D There were all sorts of tropicals along the barnacles and corals on the pillars(damsels, butterflyfish, spadefish, blennies, gobbies, big ole toadfish). There were also some large stonecrabs out. I think I'm going to take the camera next time instead of any kind of spear.

Decided the boat races would make for a bumpy ride back with all the traffic so we continued West to the West Pass channel(Gulf Shores) and beached there.

By that time, I was hungry and enjoyed some wings before heading out to watch some of the boat race. I parked where the Outrigger used to be and walked down to the Alabama Point Jetties. The big loud boats were fun to watch, but grey skies appeared with some lightning and I think they had to call the race - atleast thats what someone told me.
Wow wished i had come down diving with you! Thanks for the report sounds like you all had a great time. :wink:

Sounds like it was fun!! We dove in an underwater junk yard, lol. Wasn't impressed with Diveland at all :-(. Oh, well we know now.

I guess it would be a stupid question to ask, but, Can you dive at the State Pier? Aren't people fishing from the pier? I know - stupid questions - but newbie minds want to know! :)

Oh, I forgot, it sounds like a great time!

OK, Before you call me bad anmes, I found a post with pictures of the State Pier! I ddn't know it was damaged like that! Pardon my ignorance.
On another note - can you shore dive from there now? I am going to Gulf Shores in September with my son and we are going to se if we can get a trip with the Dive Shop that everyone is recommending, but if we could shore dive the pier, that would be good for novices like us.

rdharbis1:
On another note - can you shore dive from there now? .

I think they've got the -parking area closed also. So makes it difficult to shore dive.

Matt can say for sure. But I'm pretty sure that's why the took the Miss JellyFish
out to the pier.

This is prob a good time to dive it while it's damaged. Otherwise you'll get
a hook in ya.

I think about the only two shore dives there are the jetties and the Whiskey wreck.

Nice report - BRING THAT CAMERA ! :D

Shushi:
Sounds like it was fun!! We dove in an underwater junk yard, lol. Wasn't impressed with Diveland at all :-(. Oh, well we know now.

D'Oh! I guess I won't be in a big hurry to dive that hole :D

rdharbis1:
I guess it would be a stupid question to ask, but, Can you dive at the State Pier? Aren't people fishing from the pier? I know - stupid questions - but newbie minds want to know! :)

Not a stupid question at all. Ivan tore most of it down, but the majority of the columns are still in place and house a variety of sealife. You weren't allowed to land your boat or dive by the pier previous to its destruction, so your question is valid!

The pier off Navarre beach is the same way :) dive it while its busted!

rdharbis1:
OK, Before you call me bad anmes, I found a post with pictures of the State Pier! I ddn't know it was damaged like that! Pardon my ignorance.
On another note - can you shore dive from there now? I am going to Gulf Shores in September with my son and we are going to se if we can get a trip with the Dive Shop that everyone is recommending, but if we could shore dive the pier, that would be good for novices like us.

Shore diving isn't really an option at this point. There aren't any public parking areas within a reasonable distance to walk to it with gear. There are other shore dives available if you want to get some easy dives in - Alabama Point Jetties, Whiskey Wreck(possibly), West Pass... Let me know if you guys want an extra buddy taggin along :) I'm all about some cheap/free diving.

...and for the name calling... Nice Triple Post!! $)(%&*#)$&!!! Kidding :wink:

SeaYoda:
Nice report - BRING THAT CAMERA ! :D

I know, I know! My freezer is filled, for now. I don't have any more excuses :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
D'Oh! I guess I won't be in a big hurry to dive that hole :D

Not a stupid question at all. Ivan tore most of it down, but the majority of the columns are still in place and house a variety of sealife. You weren't allowed to land your boat or dive by the pier previous to its destruction, so your question is valid!

The pier off Navarre beach is the same way :) dive it while its busted!

Shore diving isn't really an option at this point. There aren't any public parking areas within a reasonable distance to walk to it with gear. There are other shore dives available if you want to get some easy dives in - Alabama Point Jetties, Whiskey Wreck(possibly), West Pass... Let me know if you guys want an extra buddy taggin along :) I'm all about some cheap/free diving.

...and for the name calling... Nice Triple Post!! $)(%&*#)$&!!! Kidding :wink:

I know, I know! My freezer is filled, for now. I don't have any more excuses :D

Matt,
I'll be happy to help out with the freezer problem! I'll bring the smoker!
Howard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom