AL80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I wanted some advice on AL80's for doubles.

I was thinking of getting Sherwood 80 Cubic Foot Aluminum Compact Neutral Tank

If I go into rebreather diving (eventually after I've had lots of experience and plenty of training) could I turn these into bailout/deco tanks or is having the positive buoyancy an attribute that is desired in bailout and deco tanks.

Thanks

Hi scuga.

With 0-24 do you have a real need for doubles yet? If your frustrated by using air fast I'd suggest more diving and skill tuning. Enough of that.

Again as a new diver you are probably diving wet. As such you don't have the secondary lift of a drysuit and the relative buoyant properties of a common AL80 are in your favor. Remember that you will be adding bands, a plate, manifold and or some number of regulators to this so it can get quite negative fast. You will be starting the dive with 10+ pounds of expendable air.

I'm a little out of my game but as a bailout bottle I would think that the common AL80 would be better since with air it will be closer to neutral. Should you need to hand it off or park it there will be less impact.

The HP 80 is essentially an 80 that is wearing some weight for you and you can't remove or move it to manage your configuration. The thicker walls (less internal volume) drive the rated pressure up to 3300 PSI and that can be a little harder to get optimal fills at. On top of that they are just plain heavy to work with. I don't have much use for a neutral AL80.

Pete

If you're planning on splitting them up down the road for stages or deco bottles, the usual advice is to go with Luxfer.

So I wanted some advice on AL80's for doubles.

I was thinking of getting Sherwood 80 Cubic Foot Aluminum Compact Neutral Tank

If I go into rebreather diving (eventually after I've had lots of experience and plenty of training) could I turn these into bailout/deco tanks or is having the positive buoyancy an attribute that is desired in bailout and deco tanks.

Thanks

For the money go with HP100's

For the money go with HP100's

They're like balloons for bailout bottles. AL80s float better sidemount

I guess the way I see it is I don't want to be in doubles forever. I do want to take Fundamentals and try to get a tech pass. I worry about steel doubles being non ditchable weight and don't think I'll be in a drysuit until I am diving a rebreather so I'll want to break them up at that point and if they are steel 100's or some such I just don't know if they will be as much use to me down the road. This is all idle speculation I just was looking for some input because I've read like 90 posts on how AL80s are the root of all evil. I guess to me thinking about it theoretically I'd rather be over weighted with buoyant cylinders and ditchable weight while I am starting out. Maybe later I will be passing NDL and freaking out about a free ascent but right now I'm just looking for a beginners double kit that I can do tech classes with. shrug. Thanks for the constructive non-flaming posts guys I do appreciate it.

It is hard to be grossly overweight with AL80 doubles as they are buoyant.

AL80 are not the root of the evil. Single AL80 diving is not the same as double AL80 diving. If you dive warm water with little insulation they would most likely be the best choice. They are long and are easier to trim especially if you are close to 6'.

Get a pair of Luxfer AL80 if you eventually plan to break them down into stages. They will probably need more tail weight as they are but light. If you plan to have them paired up for good you can use Catalinas

Do not fool around with those compact tanks. They are too negative for the stages.

Last edited:
Don't buy want you don't need hoping it will work out later.

If you can find a set of LP72s they make great small doubles, are neutral empty, 26lbs each and more compact than AL80s, yet hold as much gas with a slight overfill. Get 7" bands, a regular manifold, and if you end up diving doubles all the time and you want bigger tanks, LP85s (which are highly regarded as doubles) will use the 7" bands.

You should be able to find a pair of galvanized PST LP72s for under $100 in the Atlanta area, you'll just have to look around. The advantage of PSTs is that the REE number is still available, meaning you can get the plus rating on them.

Double AL80s are very common warm water doubles, nothing wrong with them at all. If you go that route, look for a used set ready to go. I would not spend money on new doubles at this point in your diving career, but I'm cheap.

Back
Top Bottom