AL BP: edge smoothing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I figured this would be the best place to ask; if not mods please feel free to move.

I have an aluminum backplate (that I assume is anodized) that has webbing slots sharpened and infused with diamond dust. I'd like to give it a little sanding to blunt the edges, which have in several months cut through nearly half of the shoulder section of my harness. I dive exclusively in salt water, and just want to make sure I'm not going to be harming the plate by sanding through the anodized layer (I know AL doesn't oxidize like steel, but still). To add to the bare metal issue, as these edges will be wrapped behind the harness, I assume they'll be ever so slightly more exposed to moisture/salt than the rest of the plate. So, are these silly concerns?

Also, what's the best way to blunt these dangerous edges (I've actually cut myself on the cam band slots while screwing in the thumbscrew)? "Shoeshine" it with sandpaper? Hard file? Just take a hammer and flatten the edge?

Emery cloth.

Get some narrow to wider strips and just rub it left and right over the edges as if you were polishing shoes with a cloth.

the K

I figured this would be the best place to ask; if not mods please feel free to move.

I have an aluminum backplate (that I assume is anodized) that has webbing slots sharpened and infused with diamond dust. I'd like to give it a little sanding to blunt the edges, which have in several months cut through nearly half of the shoulder section of my harness. I dive exclusively in salt water, and just want to make sure I'm not going to be harming the plate by sanding through the anodized layer (I know AL doesn't oxidize like steel, but still). To add to the bare metal issue, as these edges will be wrapped behind the harness, I assume they'll be ever so slightly more exposed to moisture/salt than the rest of the plate. So, are these silly concerns?

Also, what's the best way to blunt these dangerous edges (I've actually cut myself on the cam band slots while screwing in the thumbscrew)? "Shoeshine" it with sandpaper? Hard file? Just take a hammer and flatten the edge?

Quit messing around,,, switch to a SS backplate.
Kal

Quit messing around,,, switch to a SS backplate.
Kal

Already have one, it's got nice smooth edges :wink: I'm working with the AL plate right now.

Emery cloth.

Get some narrow to wider strips and just rub it left and right over the edges as if you were polishing shoes with a cloth.

the K

The emery cloth worked perfectly, thx! Took about an hour to get to all the edges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom