Akumal/Tulum Restaurants?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are heading to Akumal in a couple of weeks? We were wondering if anyone had any favorite restaurants in the Akumal/Tulum area. If you do, please post what type food they offer or a small description of the place.

Thanks in advance.

The only places in Akumal that I can recommend are the little place next to the Super Chomax for lunch and Turtle Bay for breakfast. We have tried most of the other places and end up in PDC for dinner, better eats for the money. Next trip to Akumal IS IN MAY!

Hi,

I would recommend Basilico's in Tulum. It does Italian fare, but is excellent. Fausto the owner is a tall Roman who has a greatsense of humor.

there are 2 others across the street one is Don Caffetto's. This gas the best breakfasts and coffee in the morning. The other is an Argentinian, but I can't remeber the name.

If you are staying on the beach there is the Mezzanine which is Thai...the location is great and it is a local hang out on the weekends. Lots of beach parties around that area.

Outside of that Tulum has some of the best Pollo Asada I have eaten...

A fun spot to stop for lunch is a beach bar called La Buena Vida. Nice location it is open air with wooden swings for bar stools, they also have an elevated kind of tree house that you can eat in or sit at picnic tables outside or at the bar. The food was reasonable and pretty good.

Gaffer

We had some great meals a few years back at Pizzaria Leo's in Chemuyil. It's about 5 miles south of Akumal, take a right off 307. Great camarones con ajo, other good seafood, great pizzas. We ordered lobsters one night, the platters came out with two lobsters, rice, other sides. Explanation was they were smaller then usual, so they gave us 2. I think the price was 190 pesos. Not much English spoken, but the people working there were very nice, and didn't mind my poor Spanish.

Turtle Bay is good for breakfast, and does some good dinners too, but you should get reservations, as they didn't seat many at dinnner.

La Buena Vida is ok, can be hit or miss.

We've never eaten at the LoHa, but do go in for deserts about an hour before they close. Always get Helados de Coco con Kalua (coconut ice cream with Kalua). Good coffee there too.

Another place that was good, but it's been a few years, was Emeldas Kitchen. It is kind of behind the dive shop on the north side of Akumal Bay. Great local food, and the owner was a sweetheart.

I've heard (but not been to) that there are a couple of good local places opened up in Akumal Pueblo across the highway. I've also heard good things about the Pollo Asado in the Pueblo too.

La Buena Vida, is good, the atmosphere is great, on the beach, swings, and treehouses..lots of fun for both young and old.

Loha, is great for both lunch and dinner. They have two menus, they usually give you the one with Mexican selections, but they make a great pizza if you have a hankering.

The sleeper is the restaurant at Las Villas Akumal. It's not well known because they have just reopened it. The chef is excellent! If it's not on the menu and he's got the ingredients, he'll make it. Cooks a mean steak as well! The waiters are very friendly and go out of their way to look after you. Top marks!

Found Turtlebay to be a bit overrated, maybe their resting on their laurels, as they seem to have been well rated in many guide books. Average at best, but open early….

Been here for two weeks. Diving has been good, although in the last few days it's been a bit rough. Vis is better on the morning deep dives, as the sea gets choppier as the day progresses. The same can be said about the cenote dives. Get the first dive of the day if you want the best vis. The more divers before you, the more chance someone has silted it out...

Have fun! I'm now going to walk down the beach to Loha for lunch.... :wink:

Akumal food seems to be getting more $$$ for less quality unfortunately.

Turtle bay is OK, the Lol Ha is decent.

Beuna Vida seems to get worse and worse food every time I go, and higher prices (although tacos Cheyenne for 90 pesos are decent)

In Tulum, there is a pizza place called "La Nave" on the left side as you go south. Decent prices and IMO really really excellent pizza (better than anything I can easily get here in LA)

For good Italian try Que Onda. It is not on the beach but back by Ya Kul Lagoon. Good food, not super cheap but worth it.

Like others have mentioned, La Buena Vida for the atmosphere. Lol Ha on the patio is always good.

A great place in Tulum already mentioned is El Pequeno Buenos Aires.

Headed down in a few weeks and really looking forward to it.

Karen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom