Akumal Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaman

New
Reaction score
I will be in Akumal for Xmas 2004. I'm a newbie but have also done some challenging dives for a newbie (Blue Hole and night dives). Can someone suggest some dive sites (and shops) in the akumal vicinity that would be fun. Thank you in advance.

Akumal Dive Adventures is on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. They are a small shop with great DM's and good service. We've used them the last 2 years and will again in Dec. Ask to dive with Lupe or Juan. The diving in Akumal is easy drift dives. Some of our favorite sites are Gargonian, The Nets, Tortugas, Yal-ku reef. Also, do at least one cenote dive. The shop can set you up with a guide, or, you can go to Hidden Worlds and dive Dos Ojos and the Bat Cave.

I agree with Scubawife on the sites. Easy drift diving and nice. I suggest to try Akumal Dive Shop in Akumal (jesus@akumal.com or pablo@akumal.com). Don't miss HIdden Worlds www.hiddenworlds.com and ask for Che or Jeff.
maria

scubawife:
Akumal Dive Adventures is on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. They are a small shop with great DM's and good service. We've used them the last 2 years and will again in Dec. Ask to dive with Lupe or Juan. The diving in Akumal is easy drift dives. Some of our favorite sites are Gargonian, The Nets, Tortugas, Yal-ku reef. Also, do at least one cenote dive. The shop can set you up with a guide, or, you can go to Hidden Worlds and dive Dos Ojos and the Bat Cave.

I completely agree as well. Especially with the cenote; Dos Ojos is great. You also can book a day trip to Cozumel for cheap since it is just off shore of Akumal.

Where are you staying?

We dived this site a few times on our last trip because it was so great. There was a coral head with a school of more then 8 gray angels. A juvenille played with our bubbles for about 5 min. Also a large stingray. And, you're almost guaranteed to see turtles on just about every dive. Several dives we see more then one, and that's at any site.

If you're staying in Akumal (Half Moon Bay or Akumal Bay) and not an AI (none of these are really in Akumal), then post-dive activity should include happy hour at La Buena Vida, a dinner (kind of romantic, if you're looking for that) at La Lunita, great margarita's and seafod at La Cueva del Pescador. Another great place is Turtle Bakery for breakfast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom