Akumal Resort Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubenray

Registered
Reaction score
Will be going to Akumal in June and would like to do a resort dive course? Any recommendations of what company to use? There are several dive shops and the cost is about the same.

All the shops in Akumal are good. All of them are good with beginner divers, and the diving in Akumal is well suited to beginners - lots of shallow sites, lots to see and not a very strong current. If it's your first scuba experience I would suggest you just go with the shop most convenient to where you'll be staying.

What she said. If you're in an AI resort, chances are you can do a discover scuba for free in the pool to get some practice before you go out.

James

reubenray:
We are staying in a condo on Half Moon Bay and the Akumal Dive Shop is the closest to us.

I'll be diving with them in 48 hours. I'll let you know how they are.

Talk to Jose at Akumal Dive Adventures, right on Half Moon Bay (between the Vista del Mar Hotel and La Buena Vida). We took a non-diver friend 2 yrs ago and she did a discover course with ADA and ended up doing the full Open Water Cert that week.

Either one of the guys or the manager/instructor (a woman from Canada or US, not sure) will give you a great intro. They'll do pool work with you, then take you on a dive. I've seen them with a few students, and they are very good with discover students. Thorough on the pool session and general dive instruction, and on the dive they are always right with you, most of the time in physical contact. You will be safe and well looked after.

Whichever shop you chose, you can't really go wrong. Most of the guys have worked at more then one of the shops and they are all pretty good.

James - if you have room for a stowaway, let me know. I can always be ready on short notice for a jaunt to Akumal. :wink: ...especially after just seeing the NYC forcast for this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom