Akumal or PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traciedee

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I had decided to stay at the Grand Bahia Principe and dive in the Akumal area.
Now I'm having second thoughts and was wondering if the diving is better down towards PDC. How far out is the average dive site. Suggestions on great place to stay?

Anyone do any day trips to Coz for diving? Is it worth the hassel of hauling dive gear accrss the ferry? Any suggestions on dive ops?

How is the diving in Sept-if a hurricane does not make a visit?

Hi Traciedee,

Akumal and PDC are two very different places. Akumal is much less developed, with better beaches, and better prices for rooms. It pretty much goes to sleep with the sun. PDC is a city of 100k+ with all that goes with it. You have a much wider choice of rooms, the restaurants are much better, and you can party till you drop. One hotel that we like in PDC is the Hotel Lunata located in the heart of the tourist district. There is no on site parking, so if you rent a car that will be a problem. They got a star in Frommer's and it is deserved. Nice rooms and a location that cannot be beat. If you are taking your full set of gear, you might want to look at other hotels, all the rooms are second and third floor.

If Becky was making the choice between Akumal and PDC, Akumal would win hands down. If I got to make the decision, PDC.

Jeff

I agree with driftwood, Akumal and PdC are as different as night and day. I too, prefer Akumal. More so for the diving and the laid back attitude. The spur and groove formations off Akumal and surrounding areas are in real decent shape. Very relaxed diving. I like it in Sept, if no el Norte's are blowing. The warm temps are to die for. When diving out of Akumal boat time to dive sites are about 5 - 10 minutes. My preferred dive op in Akumal is the Akumal Dive Center. They have been treating me well for many, many years.

There are also major differences between Akumal and Cozumel. I love the wall and drift diving as well. Split your time and dive both places. Yes, I also take all my own gear.

I know, for some reason Akumal just keeps calling my name and I keep going back and forth on where to stay. Akumal Beach Resort-rustic awesome beach, Playa Caribe-condo, no restaurant/bar or Bahia-mega resort. If I dive, my idea of party till I drop usually ends at 8pm and I'm exhausted and in bed ready to get up at 6 or 7am to dive and explore the area. Guess I just wanted to know if diving was any better in the PDC area, ya know like a kid, just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

traciedee - It is the same reef in PdC and AKumal...It's just that the reef is more prominent in Akumal. Others may disagree - but I prefer the diving around Akumal over PdC.

I know, for some reason Akumal just keeps calling my name and I keep going back and forth on where to stay. Akumal Beach Resort-rustic awesome beach, Playa Caribe-condo, no restaurant/bar or Bahia-mega resort. If I dive, my idea of party till I drop usually ends at 8pm and I'm exhausted and in bed ready to get up at 6 or 7am to dive and explore the area. Guess I just wanted to know if diving was any better in the PDC area, ya know like a kid, just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

Traciedee, the beaches in Akumal are really world class. I am surprised that they don't get mentioned more often. Check out some of the rates for condos on Half Moon Bay at Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation. They are very competitive with hotel rates in the area. My personal opinion is that you need a car if you stay in Akumal, but if you are not comfortable with the local rules of the road take a pass and rely on taxis. Akumal is a GREAT choice for a relaxed stay.

My idea of good diving is Bonaire and I hate to say it but ocean diving in Akumal is not in the same league. On the other hand, the cenotes around Akumal are the BEST in the world and that is the area's real claim to diving fame.

We recently stayed at the Grand Sirenis in Akumal, and really loved it. We also did a day trip to Cozumel. It was an all day affair, but we had a great time. The Aqua-Inn dive shop at our resort took care of all the details of getting us there and back.
We actually did a 6 dive package for $360 US. It was 2 Akumal boat dives, 2 cenote dives, and 2 Cozumel dives. That included all transportation and lunch for the cenote and coz dives.

They treated us very good. There are quite a few people working there, so you never know who you might be diving with, but we were happy with everyone.
I’m not sure, but since they are on resort property, you probably have to be staying at the Grand Sirenis in order to dive with them. We also liked the resort. At about $1250 US per person for 7 nights all-inclusive and round trip air from St.Louis Mo, it’s hard to beat.

Steve-I think I've kind of narrowed it down to the Sirenis and the Bahia. Both are in the area I want and so far I've heard good things about both dive shops and resorts. I really considered a condo, but I don't want to have to rent a car. As usual, I'm planning on going in Sept or Oct. Hurricane season I know, but I like that time of year as the crowds are non existent and the rates are great. Roatan last year, we were the only ones on the boat and hotel! Never stayed in a mega resort before so Akumal will be interesting....I may just wait and see which resort has the best rates. Can you tell me your thoughts about the Sirenis?

Driftwood-I agree Bonaire is the place for diving (saw my first seahorse), but I gotta tell you Roatan has the edge for me. Not only is the diving awesome, the island and West Bay beach are incredible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom