Akumal in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alltournative has a great ziplining trip. they take to you to the Coba Ruins, then a Mayan village, then ziplining and repelling down into a cenote, and kayaking on a lagoon and lunch cooked by the Mayan village people. All for 115.00 each person. We are going this May 25th-June2nd. Used Dennis from DiabloDivers last year for cenote diving and Akumal Beach Resort dive shop for ocean. I'm doing the same this year. Although I am diving Grand Cenote and Carwash in place of DosOjos and Tajmaha.
Might wanna look into Locogringo.com forums on Akumal lots of info, and I cannot tell you how much you want the Cando maps! They are excellent for self guiding your own tours with a rental car an absoulte must have!

WOW! Thanks for the insider tips! After careful research, we've decided to rent two small cars in Playa after being shuttled from the airport in Cancun. I know it sounds a bit strange but found it cheaper AND we'll have both small cars for ten days which is by far cheaper than a large van for ten days from Cancun. About $1200.00 for a van and $400.00 for TWO cars for ten days. So, do the math. $135.00 per couple versus $400.00 per couple. (there's three couples on this trip)
After we get to Playa, a'shopping we'll go at what's nearest to 307 then on to Casa Alux. As far as Diveops go, we haven't decided just yet but, were thinking of going to each and seeing what they're about. We DO NOT like cattle boats. I've dived with Anita Divers in Coz and like their set-up. It's not a cattle-boat and it's very easy-going but safe. So, I'm hoping for the same treatment in Akumal with whomever we decide. We're leaning toward leaning toward Akumal Dive Shop but, we'll see.

On land, we're looking at the Zip-line tours. Has anyone done this? We're gonna be there for ten days and are looking for things to do.

This really has turned out to be an outstanding thread on Akumal!

From Casa Alux, you are pretty much right in the middle of Dive Adventures, the Dive Shop and the Dive Center. Personally, I would avoid the Akumal Dive Shop, used them once and never again.

Shopping in Playa, you have a lot of choices. The two that are the easiest from 307 are the Aurrera (2nd stop light in PDC coming from Cancun) and Soriana (past Juarez on the right side of 307 across from Sam's). I have shopped at an Aurrera before and they have pretty much everything you will need (GREAT beer and alcohol prices, at least in Rio Verde). Never been to Sorianna. Next you have Walmart and Mega on Ave 30 (both between Juarez and Constiuentes (sp?), both great modern stores (very big). Chedraui and Sam's Club were the two that really raised the bar for grocery shopping in PDC, but can be a pain to get into and out of at times. Forget the San Fransisco, dreary and depressing. We will be hitting the Aurrera first and if we don't find everything, then the Mega on our May trip.

Other things to do in the area. First go to Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info, they have great tours that fill a day without packing too much in. Mitch is a great guide who really knows the area and with 6 people you might get a tour to yourselves with a custom schedule. Alltournative - Off Track Adventures was mentioned, we have done two of their tours and had a blast each time. Both operations use vans, so it's more like a day trip with friends rather than a tour in a big bus. Be sure to hit Dos Ojos either for a dive or snorkel, a very cool place. Zipline tours, try Selvatica. Haven't done it yet, but it looks good.

If you are going to look at some Mayan ruins, take the day and go to either Chichen Itza or Ek Balam. Much better than either Coba or Tulum, both are nice but not in the same league with CI or EB. You might want to hook up with Hilario Hiler, from the US 011-52-984-875-9066, sorry no email. Does private tours at a set price, lives in Akumal, knows the area like the back of his hand, fluent in English, Spanish and Mayan. If you are doing a day trip to CI or EB, he is a good way to do it. Not a bad cavern guide either, he has one site named after him, Hilario's Well. If you want a very informed opinion on the local dive ops, not a bad man to listen to.

I said it before and it was mentioned later, you really need to get both the Riviera Maya and PDC maps from Can-Do Maps and travel guides, the best $20 you will spend on your vacation. We got the new 08 maps and they are fantastic. Restaurants, attractions, shopping, its all there with links. Been using them for 8 years and get the latest version before each trip..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom