Akumal here we come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goofygirl

Reaction score
Okay, our plans have changed a few times, but it looks like we'll be going to Akumal at the end of May!!! So here I am to humbly request your advice...

We're probably staying at Vista Del Mar. Good price and they're available when we're going. Opinions? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Any advice or anecdotes from anyone who has stayed there is welcome.

Now, on to the most important thing, DIVE OP! The dive op connected with Vista Del Mar is Akumal Dive Adventures. Should we dive with them or seek out another op? Are they a "Great dive op", "they will be fine", or an "avoid at all costs" ?
Anyone ever dive with them? If so, any stories to share?

If not Akumal Dive Adventures then who should we dive with?

What's the best way to get from Cancun airport to Akumal? What's the cost of the various options?

Do we need a car in Akumal or is cabbing it around just fine?

Any restaurant recommendations?

Your recommendations helped make our Coz trip last year fantastic, I look forward to hearing all your advice again!
Thanks in advance! :07:

We've been staying at Vista del Mar (condo) and diving with Akumal Dive Adventures for 3 years. Usually go early December, but we're actually heading back in April for 4 nts Akumal/4 nts Coz. VDM and Akumal Dive Adventures are the same owners so they have good dive/accommodation packages. 10% off on the accommodation and 15% on diving.

If you're going for a week, consider a condo. The dining options in Akumal, although good, are limited (6 restaurants total) and some feel are a bit pricey. Also, the hotel rooms will be tight for two with dive travel bags. We did it once for 3 nts and wouldn't do it for longer. At least get a studio unit. If you want AC, you have to go up to a 2 bdrm unit. When we go in Dec there are more people and we get a 3 bdrm/3bath which is very spacious and has a huge master bath with a big jacuzzi tub great for a good gear wash on the last day. The studios also have big bath. 2 bdrms don't.

VDM is a great location and if you don't plan on doing any day trips to the ruins or Tulum or PDC, you won't need a car. Everything in Akumal will be within 15 min walk or a $3 cab ride. Book a roundtrip transfer with DITA. They have been the best for us. And, they'll stop to let you do your grocery shopping at Chedraui in PDC on the way down. If you get a condo of studio, stock up in PDC. The small stores in Akumal have limited selection and are more expensive.

I tried another shop in Akumal but prefer Akumal Dive Adventures. They let you dive your dive and don't make you follow in line or surface as a group. Lupe and Jose are both very laid back DM's. You will get as little or as much attention and assistence as you need and want.

Akumal diving is quite different from Coz. It is shallow (50-70ft) reef dives. Very lush reefs but no walls and not the fish variety of Coz. The current is usually very light. Dives are single tank at 9, 11:30 and 2pm, or there abouts. No more then 10 min boat ride and back to the shop between dives. We usually go back to the condo between dives to have a drink and a snack.

Try all the restaurants, there aren't that many. Lol-Ha, La Buena Vida (good happy hour), La Lunita, Que Onda (homemade pasta), Turtle Bakery Cafe (great breakfast and bakery), Cueva de Pescador (sp?)

Do at least one day of cenotes. It's a unique experience. You can either go to Hidden Worlds (the guys at ADA will set it up for you), or get a private guide.

Since I've rambled on way tooo long for a post, feel free to PM me if you've got questions about Vista del Mar, Akumal Dive Adventures or Akumal in general.

goofygirl:
Okay, our plans have changed a few times, but it looks like we'll be going to Akumal at the end of May!!! So here I am to humbly request your advice...

We're probably staying at Vista Del Mar. Good price and they're available when we're going. Opinions? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Any advice or anecdotes from anyone who has stayed there is welcome.

Now, on to the most important thing, DIVE OP! The dive op connected with Vista Del Mar is Akumal Dive Adventures. Should we dive with them or seek out another op? Are they a "Great dive op", "they will be fine", or an "avoid at all costs" ?
Anyone ever dive with them? If so, any stories to share?

If not Akumal Dive Adventures then who should we dive with?

What's the best way to get from Cancun airport to Akumal? What's the cost of the various options?

Do we need a car in Akumal or is cabbing it around just fine?

Any restaurant recommendations?

Your recommendations helped make our Coz trip last year fantastic, I look forward to hearing all your advice again!
Thanks in advance! :07:

....maybe this could be helpful.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t87362-akumal-trip-report-23-6-2005.html

Dave

goofygirl:

Looks like we'll just miss each other. I'll be there from May 7th-14th.

goofygirl:

I haven't been diving in Akumal yet, but after posting questions here about which dive shop to choose and not getting much in the way of ansers, I asked on a bord that was specific to the Riveria Maya. They overwhelmingly recommended "The Original Akumal Dive Shop".

I've since been conversing with Jesus from the shop via email and have everything set up with them. The on site shop where I will be staying wouldn't even take a reservation...

James

scubawife:
We've been staying at Vista del Mar (condo) and diving with Akumal Dive Adventures for 3 years. ... VDM and Akumal Dive Adventures are the same owners so they have good dive/accommodation packages. 10% off on the accommodation and 15% on diving.

If you're going for a week, consider a condo. The dining options in Akumal, although good, are limited (6 restaurants total) and some feel are a bit pricey. Also, the hotel rooms will be tight for two with dive travel bags. We did it once for 3 nts and wouldn't do it for longer. At least get a studio unit. If you want AC, you have to go up to a 2 bdrm unit.

VDM is a great location and if you don't plan on doing any day trips to the ruins or Tulum or PDC, you won't need a car. Everything in Akumal will be within 15 min walk or a $3 cab ride. Book a roundtrip transfer with DITA. They have been the best for us. And, they'll stop to let you do your grocery shopping at Chedraui in PDC on the way down. If you get a condo of studio, stock up in PDC. The small stores in Akumal have limited selection and are more expensive.

I tried another shop in Akumal but prefer Akumal Dive Adventures. They let you dive your dive and don't make you follow in line or surface as a group. Lupe and Jose are both very laid back DM's. You will get as little or as much attention and assistence as you need and want.

Akumal diving is quite different from Coz. It is shallow (50-70ft) reef dives. Very lush reefs but no walls and not the fish variety of Coz. The current is usually very light. Dives are single tank at 9, 11:30 and 2pm, or there abouts. No more then 10 min boat ride and back to the shop between dives. We usually go back to the condo between dives to have a drink and a snack.

Try all the restaurants, there aren't that many. Lol-Ha, La Buena Vida (good happy hour), La Lunita, Que Onda (homemade pasta), Turtle Bakery Cafe (great breakfast and bakery), Cueva de Pescador (sp?)

Do at least one day of cenotes. It's a unique experience. You can either go to Hidden Worlds (the guys at ADA will set it up for you), or get a private guide.

Since I've rambled on way tooo long for a post, feel free to PM me if you've got questions about Vista del Mar, Akumal Dive Adventures or Akumal in general.

Scubawife- Fantastic info! Always great to hear from someone who goes there regularly! The combo discount you mentioned is great, but I'm glad you mentioned that the hotel room may be a tight squeeze. But I've GOT to have A/C (high maintenance, I know, at least I admit it) and it seems silly to get a 2BR for just the 2 of us just for the AC. The hotel may not be that much of a squeeze because we don't have a lot of dive equip. we'll be renting the big stuff and only schlepping our own masks/fins/snorkels/shorties/computers. With this in mind do you think the hotel room will do? If not, have you ever heard of Akumal Vacations Have you heard of these guys? They have 2 different condos that have 1BR a/c units that are affordable and they look nice. The ones we would consider instead of VDM are called La Joya and The Reef.

We would like to go to Tulum, but just a day trip. Is there a tour to go with or should we rent a car and go on our own? Who/what is DITA and what kind of tranportation are they? How much do they cost? Do we prearrange this somehow, or do they have a specific booth at the Cancun airport?

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Akumal Dive Adventures, always good to know you're with a good op. Not sure if we'll do cenotes, still trying to build our OW skills. I know, I know that's what the area is known for, but it's not like we won't be back! :wink:

Thanks for your 'rambling' that was 'too long'. Hah! No such thing as a 'too long' post when someone is looking for info and you've got plenty to give! I put this in a post instead of a PM because I figured that others would benefit from the info, hope you don't mind.

James Goddard:
Looks like we'll just miss each other. I'll be there from May 7th-14th.

I haven't been diving in Akumal yet, but after posting questions here about which dive shop to choose and not getting much in the way of ansers, I asked on a bord that was specific to the Riveria Maya. They overwhelmingly recommended "The Original Akumal Dive Shop".

I've since been conversing with Jesus from the shop via email and have everything set up with them. The on site shop where I will be staying wouldn't even take a reservation...

James

Oh, that's to bad that we'll miss eachother. Would have been fun to get together for a drink! Well, I'll be looking forward to your trip report to get me pumped up for our trip!

Do you have a link for that dive op? I think I came across it in my searches, but I didn't book mark it.
Thanks!

A good site for info and arial photo maps of the bays that show where all the hotels, condos, restaurants, etc are located is www.locogringo.com. They also book most of the properties, but not dive/accommodation pkgs. If you are going to dive with Akumal Dive Adventures then Vista del Mar buildings are the best locations. In between their buildings are Half Moon Condos, Lol Kanaaba and Playa Blanca. The casitas at Playa Blanca are small studio. The Reef and La Joya are about 5-8 min walk (depends how fast you want to walk). Luna Azul is also within easy walking distance and so is Playa Caribe (very nice but pricey).

You'll be able to store your gear at the shop so if you don't have big bulky dive travel gear bags, VDM Hotel rooms with 2 dbl beds should be ok space wise. Queen bed rooms are big smaller. There's a new breakfast cafe (eat there or take away) just a the other side of La Buena Vida (next door to the dive shop) called Mango Cafe. We tried it one morning and it was ok. Do leave time if you go because the young girls there are on MX time... Their Coconut Mango smoothie became my mid-afternoon btwn dive treat every day. Not sure if La Buena Vida serves breakfast or not. The htl rooms do have a coffee maker and fridge so you could keep light stuff if you wanted to.

If you book Vista del Mar/Akumal Dive Adventures package, book directly with Heidi (owner) www.akumalinfo.com.

Taxi to Tulum is about $12-15, or you can take a cab for about $3 to the highway and get a collectivo on the el cheapo. Totally safe. To PDC is about $20 each way by taxi, again, can do collectivo. Car rentals in Cancun are not cheap. Unless you plan to use it daily, the transfer with DITA may be better. getdita.com and you can see the options of either private transfer or shared.

The TSA (akumaltravel.com) does sell tours w/ coach to Coba and other places. They can also arrange daily car rental. Their transfers to the airport and rentals tend to be a bit high.

I did my first small boat dives with Lupe and Jose my 2nd trip after getting certified. (The dives in Akumal are all from panga's, smaller open skiff type boats.) They are good with newer divers. Very patient. Just tell them in advance if you may need some assistence and they will help you as much as needed. The diving there is very easy too so great for building up your skills and trying new things.

Although I prefer to opt for a condo for the space and to not have to go out for every meal, if you prefer hotel you should look at Akumal Beach Resort and Hotel Akumal Caribe. They are on Akumal Bay (south of Half Moon Bay) right by "town" and both have dive shops located next to them. I have not been in the rooms so can't tell you anything about them. If you post on the Riviera Maya board at locogringo you should be able to get lots of feedback on these two hotels. There are also a couple hotels in Puerto Aventuras and a dive shop there. A more Americanized area (gated community sort of place w/condos, hotels, golf course, marina, etc.)

Any more questions, ask away!

I'll be back in Akumal Apr 8th for 4 days then heading over to Cozumel! Haven't been diving since mid-December and I can't wait.

I have used Akumal Vacations a few times now with great service.
We go to Akumal 2x a year, May and Nov. We will be arriving May 13 and staying
till May 21. We are using one of the condos at Lol Ka'naab,right beside Half Moon Bay condos. Actually our friends have one of the condos at Half Moon Bay condos.
We use Akumal Dive Adventures for one day of reef diving and then we spend the rest of the week on our own cave diving as we are certified cave divers and the main reason we go to Akumal. We rent a car at the Cancun airport (very expensive) but since we go from one cenote to another every day we need our own wheels. Plus we have a trunk full of dive gear (doubles etc)

Cant wait, counting the days. I'm sure you'll have a great time, just make sure you do a cenote dive. Zero Gravity are great. Go to Dos Ojos.

Later
Kaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom