Akumal Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been to Akumal a few times and done some diving there, both reef and cenote. But since I'm a fairly experienced diver and it didn't much matter to me, I didn't pay particular attention to whom my dive masters were.

In about six weeks, however, I'll be there with my newly certified 13-year-old grandson and the choice of dive master is suddenly of utmost importance. Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a dive master in that area with whom they would trust their newly certified grandson?

Thanks,
Joan

I think it's pretty cool that you will be diving with your grandson. Akumal is a good location for new divers since most of the dives are shallow and there is practically no current.

You may want to hire an instructor or private DM to dive with you and your grandson if you want someone to be by his side or keep a close eye on him. Otherwise it's not the DM's responsibility and they shouldn't be expected to give personal attention to any one diver. They are there to take the group on a dive and hopefully point out interesting things.

I've seen Shaela (the instructor at Akumal Dive Adventures) with a family that included grandmother, mother and 12 year old. She did a great job with them and they were very happy with the experience.

If there's a shop you've used and liked on your past trips, contact them and ask about their experience with Jr divers.

Have a great trip. I'm sure it will be include some great memories for both of you. (How many kids get to dive with their grandmothers?!)

Of course you're right that no one should expect special treatment in a group, but I'm looking for someone who might have experience with children and who I might be able to hire on a private basis.

Just curious, Scubawife. Are you Scubagal over at LocoGringo?

Joan

So its my first time in Akumal for diving. Probably wont be doing Cenotes since the divers i will be with are fresh out of open water certs...they do want to know what the average water temp at depth this time of year? I read somewhere its around low 80s F...its this about right?

Co Ski - Even as a "fresh out of OW cert" you really should dive a cenote...as long as you have a good outfit taking you, it is relatively easy. You follow a guideline and the DM, you never go that deep and you come back with alot of air. I am a novice diver also and my third dive ever was a cenote. It was great fun. I am also a geologist so the seeing formations where great. but the best part is the freshwater/saltwater interface - thats realy cool to experince. Since you are in the area you realy should try it.

I read somewhere its around low 80s F...its this about right?

My log book has mid-80s at the end of October last year for the open water. The cenotes are about 75, 76 year 'round. I wouldn't do them without a 3 mil. Some did, but I wouldn't.

I'm afraid I agree with you, Co Ski. I don't think cenotes are for newly certified divers. Glad you had a great experience, clown trigger, but I wouldn't recommend it. Although one is supposedly within view of an exit at all times, that most definitely was not true on any of the cenote dives I did. Especially for a new diver, claustrophobia is a very distinct possibility. And command of your buoyancy is critical. It's much too delicate an environment to be bouncing off walls and kicking into stalagtites.

Joan

Myself and my wife are newbies. we have been on 4 dives. we still don't have our o.w. as each dive has had it's difficulties. My wife had trouble removing her mask, replacing it,and clearing. We were lake diving in Alberta, Canada (cold), and she panicked, made a rapid accent from 30 feet. she ended up with a closed ustation tube that nearly finished our diving for good. After that we proceeded on holidays to Greece and Turkey where we tried a beach dive that ended in nearly quiting again. Her new "greek adonace" instructor showed up, took us out in a Zodiac, and she tried one more time. This time she dove to 15/20 feet and had a good dive. She encounters trouble equalizing.
We are traveling to the mayan and would like to dive again. Two days/4 dives. We would require a DM that can provide a little personal attention and patience. Can you recommend a DM and a nice place to dive that will provide a more comfortable enviroment with a few enjoyable sites along the way?

I highly recommend Dennis aka Pez de Diablo on ScubaBoard (www.diablodivers.com). Though we dive with Dennis as our cenote guide, I know that Dennis will take care of you. He is the best dive operator that we have dove with - extremely helpful, safety conscious, and a lot of fun to hang out with.

Actually got back from my second trip this year diving with Dennis (3rd trip this year for my wife). I can't say enough good things about Dennis.

Oh, his internet access is a little flaky right now. I guess that's a minor downside since communication will be more difficult than usual.

Have a great time.

We will be down towards Tulum. My wife has been thier -I haven't (we are getting married 9/30/06 so technically she isn't my wife yet). We are watching the hurricanes and waiting until 10 days before we leave to book(sell off vacations). I will rent a car so traveling shouldn't be a problem. have you heard anything about sell off vacations? Shari is a good swimmer, slow to equalize, she prefers a swiming horizontal decent, and completes her skills quite well (with the exception of the mask issue). patience is required. She loves the aquatic life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom