Akumal Beach Resort Dive Shop/Akumal Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traciedee

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone done any diving recently with the ABR dive shop? Also considering walking down the beach a bit and checking out the Akumal Dive Center. Would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used either shop.

I've done most of my Akumal diving with Dive Adventures out of Half Moon Bay, but when they aren't going out (HMB can be too windy some days while Akumal Bay is still ok), or after a hurricane when they weren't reopened, I have dives with Dive Center too. My only issue with Dive Center is their DM is quick to poke, prod and grab coral and marine life to show stuff to divers. That's something I really don't like.

I don't stay at Akumal Beach Resort, but from what I've heard from people who've used Venta Diving and then Dive Center, they just about all stick with Dive Center. Venta also sends their divers to Dive Center if they don't have enough people to take their own boat out.

Have you dived in Akumal before? If not, go into it with low expectations. Even just a few years ago it was still pretty good by Caribbean standards. Now, unfortunately, land-based issues and the lack of a marine protected area have really taken their toll on the middle and outer reefs there. There's more dying, diseased and macro algal covered coral then healthy stuff. Not much in the way of adult marine life left either.

But it's still a dive, right? You do still see turtles, rays, squid, lobster and eels with some regularity. Just go slow and spend time really looking around in all the little hidden spots around coral and there's still stuff to see. Just don't expect to drop down and be wowed by color and marine life. One thing I will always love about Akumal is the very interesting topography of the reef structure.

I am staying at SBR and diving with ADC 3/9-3/17 for the first time.

I will let you know how it goes when I return.

PH

We have truly enjoyed Akumal Beach Resort. Its small enough to not feel like one of the massive AI properties, but the amenities are excellent, and the food is good. Its walking distance from the great restaurants, rooms are all ocean front. It easy to get a taxi at the lobby for any adventure along the coast.

We dove with Akumal Dive Shop. They had good facilities and our dives were enjoyable. We were the only clients for most of the dives. I can't imagine Venta dive at ABR being better or worse. All of the dives are single tank, short boat ride to the dive site. You go, you dive, you come back and play on the beach or eat All Inclusive food, and then you go back out and do a dive....etc... I think an Op would have to try really hard to make it a much better or much worse experience for the diver.

Did anyone mention that you might try diving some cenotes?

Have a blast!

I really want to, but I'm kind of chicken to dive a cenote. I'm going to snorkel one first and go from there. They sound so cool.

I dove last year with Akumal Dive Center and it was alright. They seemed fairly organized, had lots of divers going out and good rental gear. I just wasn't real crazy about having to completely suit up with your tank on your back and then walk down the beach to the dive boat, take off your BCD and dump it all into the panga boat. I guess I am spoiled because I am used to just walking with most of my stuff and having the Dive Op schlep the tanks. Other than that it was a good experience. Saw lots of turtles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom