Akona wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody have an Akona wetsuit opinion? They're "Scuba Lab Testers Choice and Best Buy" and considering their price, would sure like to hear an owner's thoughts.

I bought an Akona 5 mil two piece with the separate 2 mil vest with attached hood several years ago. The only issue I had was the knee pads came off after 20 dives or so. Other than that, the suit has held up quite well. During the summer, I'd dive in local lakes with just the farmer john. In the winter, I'd throw on the step in jacket. Kept me very warm. I believe Akona is partners with Sherwood. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong. I've since outgtown the suit. (man do those things shrink...). I now have a Scubapro 5/4 Everflex. Dove with it for the first time last Saturday in 57 degree water. Not toasty, but tolerable.

I've got an Akona 7mm and a 3mm suit. I bought them mainly for the price, but they are pretty well made, all things considered. The 7mm has skin-in neoprene "glideskin" at the wrists, ankles, and neck to reduce water flow through the suit, and they both have a fairly heavy duty zipper. They really don't have much in the way of knee pads (they are more decorative than anything), but they seem pretty functional, I guess.

Overall, the 7mm suit is pretty darned warm, and the 3mm is very stretchy and easy to put on. Plus, they come in a wide variety of sizes, including some larger sizes (up to 5XL, I think)

Oh, and they've got some pretty nice hoods and gloves. I paid about $21 for a 5/3mm hood at my local dive shop, and $30 for a pair of 5mm gloves. The hood is pretty standard, but the 5mm gloves rock!

I have an Aknoa 1 mil, which I use mainly as an extra layer on cold diver although I have used it essentially as a skin. I like it, it's worn well and fits me well. I have to complaints at all about it.

As a comparison, I normally dive BARE or ScubaPro suits and I've also tested a Pinnacle for a local dive shop. I'm not sure I would say the Akona is on the same standard with those suits, but it is also not as expensive.

I can't do a direct comparison for you, suit to suit, because my Akona is a much lighter suit than the others. I will say I would not hesitate to buy another Aknoa suit in the future.

Jeff

I have an Akona John/Jane 7mm suit and have logged about 250 dives in it. The kneepads are still primarily in tact (curling on one corner a bit) but the stitching has come out just recently around the neck. Honestly, every spring when I get into it for the first time, I want to send Akona an email congratulating them on their suits because it stretches and hold around my "winter weight".

They may not be the abosolute best suit, but for the money I think they are a good buy.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I really don't have much to compare the Akona wetsuits to. I did try a Body Glove wetsuit when I first got certified, and I was quite a bit colder, but only because it was just a wee bit too big on me, and allowed for lots of water transfer through the suit.

However, I paid $239 for the Body Glove 7mm suit, and $189 for the Akona 7mm suit, but really didn't notice any appreciable difference in quality or construction.

Seems like they're well worth what they cost. I went with a Pinnacle Elasto-Merino because it was 30% off. I figured it was a heack of a deal at $280.

Thanks all for the inputs.

Glad you found something that fit! If you could update your thread when you finally get to try it on in the water, that'd be awesome. I've been wondering if the Merino lining makes a difference in wetsuit warmth...

Glad you found something that fit! If you could update your thread when you finally get to try it on in the water, that'd be awesome. I've been wondering if the Merino lining makes a difference in wetsuit warmth...

As a pinnacle owner/diver I can say YES they are about the warmest so far. I have worn my 7/5 cruiser in 47 degree water. not the brightest thing I have done but I did not freeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom