Akona backpack ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just did a dive trip to Mexico .. noticed some of the US guys had what looks like a normal top load rucksack/backpack.
Basic rectangular shape, with shoulder carry straps.
The back was closed material & padded, but the front & sides were made of mesh, and it also had an extra pocket on front of non-mesh material.

The guys used them on dive trips for the daily haul of kit to and from dive site.
They were very light, very strong ...great for putting all your kit in.

The added advantage, so they advised was that when empty it rolled up small to pack into main dive case for flight back home.

Now I can't find them on Akona web site .. can you help identify ?

Looked to be about 30" high, 18" wide ...

I'm a big fan of this bag and take it along on all of my warm water trips. As a note I would recommend the deluxe version that scubadale linked to, it has a similar standard mesh counterpart but the deluxe has much heftier mesh material. I think that the best thing is the plush lining on the inside of the backpack straps, it's great when the backpack is worn and you don't have a shirt on. The one that rolls up into the small pocket that sits on the front of the bag is the standard version.

that must be it ... do you sell on-line / mail-order ? is there a web site I can go to.
I am in UK but happy to buy overseas.

You'll love this backpack! I bought it for my wife when she got certified. I have an older version and I keep hoping the thing will rip to pieces so I can justify getting a new one but I can't seem to destroy the old one.

We use it all the time to take our gear on board with us. I can easily put a BC, fins, booties, regulators, and mask and fit it in the overhead compartments of the plane with no problems.

BDSC

Only "bad" thing about these dive bags is their weight - I think it's around 15lbs. with the airlines limitation on luggage weight (50 lbs) you better choose wisely what you need to bring. It all adds up quickly.

I have 1 Trilam, a 3-2-2 wetsuit, Ladyhawk BC w/weight pouches, oceanic booties, 2 masks, 1 set of fins, dive rite pouch and 150' reel, slate, dry box w/save a dive kit, CPR mask, a "quacker", sandals, beanie, bc life and wetsuit shampoo and I am right at 45 lbs (left a 5 lbs cushion just in case) or so the scale says. have to put my flashlights and skins in my carry on.

Great design though, they need to invent a fabric that is as durable as the cordura but has a weight like parachute material.

I got the cheaper of the 2 that Leisure Pro carries. Like Leisure Pro Brett said it isn't as nice as the deluxe version, but for the price it is great. I use it when I go out on dive charters. I put a towel in the built in dry pack, and the mesh portion holds all my dive gear including a wetsuit.

Only "bad" thing about these dive bags is their weight - I think it's around 15lbs. with the airlines limitation on luggage weight (50 lbs) you better choose wisely what you need to bring. It all adds up quickly.

I have 1 Trilam, a 3-2-2 wetsuit, Ladyhawk BC w/weight pouches, oceanic booties, 2 masks, 1 set of fins, dive rite pouch and 150' reel, slate, dry box w/save a dive kit, CPR mask, a "quacker", sandals, beanie, bc life and wetsuit shampoo and I am right at 45 lbs (left a 5 lbs cushion just in case) or so the scale says. have to put my flashlights and skins in my carry on.

Great design though, they need to invent a fabric that is as durable as the cordura but has a weight like parachute material.

I believe you are thinking about their dive luggage with the wheels and handles. I have that also and it's probably about 15 pounds like you say. But the mesh bags they are talking about here couldn't weight more than a pound or so.

BDSC

Yep. These guys are really light. I love mine, it's great for diving while camping, boating, and invaluable if you need to take a hike to a lake in the mountains.

My wife and I each have one of these bags. They are great. Very durable. If weight is an issue, you can find something lighter, but it won't be as durable. My only criticism is the absence of a grommet in the bottom. That would vent water easier and more completely when rinsing things. Got ours via ScubaToys. ScubaToys now also sells something very similar (perhaps identical) under their own brand name. It's cheaper than the Akona version. Check with ScubaToys for differences.

Back
Top Bottom