AI's close to Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I'm heading down to Playa Del Carmen in April with my family and we would like to stay within a reasonable distance from the dive operator we have chosen (Beyond Diving). I'm looking at the Royal or Gran Porto but I would appreciate any other feedback on AI's within a reasonable distance from Playa.

Thanks!

Bob

We've stayed in PDC at The Royal two times. It's a beautiful property with lots of amenities. You said you are going with your family. Be aware that The Royal is an "Adults Only" property. Since I don't know if you have youngsters, I just wanted to give you the "heads-up." The property right next doo,r which is associated with The Royal, allows families with children. If you stay at The Royal, you can utilize the restaurants at their other property but not visa-versa.

If you mean you want to be within walking distance of the dive operator then those AIs are good choices. The Tukan is fairly close and cheaper but kind of shabby. If your family doesn't dive and wants to be on a nice beach and close to the action on 5'th ave. then either of these is a good choice. The Royal is on a better stretch of beach.

Thanks guys. The family is all grown now so the Royal is still in the running (if I can afford it) :)

Have you thought about staying in one of the many hotels along 5th ave or on the the beach in Playa? We go there every Feb. and stay at the Playa Maya hotel on the beach near 5th and 8th and we love it!
There are so many great restaurants in Playa and it is a fun town to explore.

Have you thought about staying in one of the many hotels along 5th ave or on the the beach in Playa? We go there every Feb. and stay at the Playa Maya hotel on the beach near 5th and 8th and we love it!
There are so many great restaurants in Playa and it is a fun town to explore.

Thanks for the suggestion but we love the convenience of AI's.

Not sure what you mean by close to Playa del Carmen. My wife and I stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan south of PdC a bit. Our package including air was about $800pp. There is also a sister hotel next door. We were able to share some facilities if we so desired, but did not. Excellent food, my wife had lobsted every night. I dove with a company at Puerto Aventuras. Neat little gated village, protected marina, dolphin and manatee encounter, some nice shops. I'd go back in a heartbeat and the dive op was first class, small boat, 6 very experienced divers.

Not sure what you mean by close to Playa del Carmen. My wife and I stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan south of PdC a bit. Our package including air was about $800pp. There is also a sister hotel next door. We were able to share some facilities if we so desired, but did not. Excellent food, my wife had lobsted every night. I dove with a company at Puerto Aventuras. Neat little gated village, protected marina, dolphin and manatee encounter, some nice shops. I'd go back in a heartbeat and the dive op was first class, small boat, 6 very experienced divers.

That place looks great but, if possible, my 2 sons and I want to be able to walk to our Dive Op's shop every morning for our dives. Looks like it will be either the Royal or the Gran Porto.

Bob

Spent this week last year at The Royal PDC. Highly recommended. Convenient to 5th Ave, great service and beach. I dove with Tank Ha 3 days during the week and walked to the shop in about 10 minutes.

Bob, I would be interested in your opinion of the AIs in that area. I think our next vacation will be in the PDC area. We just got back from a cruise and enjoyed it but really want a dive specific trip next round. If you haven't made any deposits my wife may be able to save you some money. She is an agent and fellow diver. Never hurts to compare prices. Her info is in my sig if you care to check it out. Let us know how it goes? Thanks

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom