Airport scanners and film ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GotAir

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
You hear things and you take them as the Gospel truth! I remember when microwaves came out and they said if you stand in front of them while there running you would become stirle! explain that to the 50 million plus people now living. My question is that if you take your rolled film thru a airport scanner will it be destroyed or is that a rumor. dose anyone really know for sure?. Mike

Depends on the type of scanner used. The large doo-hickeys that scan your checked luggage actually have a sign (or the TSA peeps should so inform) you to remove all film media before sending your luggage into the beast's belly.

The smaller screeing scanners at terminal checkpoints <supposedly> don't harm your film if passed through a few times, but the cumulative effect of many passes may fog your film. I've seen this on multiple leg journeys using fresh film that when printed had a yellowish cast. No scientific evidence on my part to back that up, just an assumption b/c it never seemed to happen with the same fotoprocessor with film that had never passed through the xray machines.

Until 9/11 and before the airports started such strong scanning for everything under the sun, there was no problem with sending your film through the scanners for carry-on. Nowadays, I'd have the rolls in clear canisters in a clear zip-lock bag and insist on a hand inspection. And NEVER send your film in your check luggage. It will definately get zapped and ruined.

The ISO rating of the film will have an effect too.

The higher the ISO, the more suceptible it'll be.

Dee's answer is pretty much the only way to be safe.

Incidenatlly, do us digital users have to worry about storage cards being zapped?

NEVER, NEVER put film in checked luggage. Machines like the CTX5000 use technology similar to CAT scans. They can fog film in no time. If you see "Invision" on an Xray machine while waiting in line, don't put your film in. Generally speaking, the machines used for hand luggage are okay for most films, up to 800 speed. Just be careful to not have your film Xrayed too many times.

chippy once bubbled...
....Incidenatlly, do us digital users have to worry about storage cards being zapped?

I've been told yes and no from various 'experts'. So I don't take a chance. My little card wallet is small and it goes in my pocket and the basket along with other 'pocket' stuff and is hand checked.

I've always heard these things about the Xray but never paid too much attention. I left film, both exsposed and unexposed film in both my carry on and checked, but never had a problem. I guess I'll think twice in the future. Did anyone here actually have a problem with their film that they feel was due to the scanning?

Bill:confused:

Yes...I had several rolls of film that had been left over and taken on 3 trips through carryon inspections in my bag.. When I finally used and processed those rolls, there was a medium gray tone haze over ever frame and picture. That's the 'fogging' someone mentioned earlier.

Generally your checked bags will not be safe for film due to the intensity of the scanning nowdays(as most airports will tell you). It is best to keep film in your carry on bag. The scanners for it shouldn't harm film 800 asa or lower. But, if you are worried you can ask to have it hand examined!

Happy travels!

Back
Top Bottom