airline travel problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shane0478

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always carried my Regs in hand luggage given their monetary value and wanting to assure they would arrive at holiday destination undamaged. A recent visit to Phillipines created major problem at security checks to leave Manilla, all scuba gear are banned items according to them and are not allowed into cabin.The luggage was fine passing through Manilla onwards to IloIlo and Cebu on arrival but not when leaving the Phillipines for Europe. My bag is commonly searched to verify it is just a Reg set without any problem but faced with loosing the set or not flying I was obviously not happy .Over a ten year period I have lost count of trips to Canary Islands, Greek iskands, European Islands and mainland, Caribbean islands, Egypt etc, all without drama.
Several questions really, Do others carry Regs in hand luggage or is it just me?? Has anyone else had similar problems? Is this just a Phillipine interpretation of the rules pertaining to dangerous items in the cabin or is it widespread?

I used to carry as much scuba gear as I could in the carry-on for years until I started exclusively dating flight attendants. I switched to checking an Action Packer or expedition backpack containing all my scuba gear, dressing up to get a first class seat, and carrying stand-by travel survival items in my carry-on.

I wanted as much of my gear to arrive with me as possible. After a while, I learned I just wanted to travel light in the cabin and terminal and let the baggage handlers and skycaps do the heavy lifting.

If it's a problem to travel with some gear in carry-on, believe me I LOVE MY GEAR, but it's easier to check it and you get over that sick feeling that it might not arrive.

Last edited:
Thanks for that you're probably right I might have to risk it. I've suggested dating a flight attendant but my Mrs said NO!!

You would probably be a lot better off buying your Mrs. a cute little flight attendant uniform, and asking her to play "dress up." At a minimum, it will be a lot easier on your wallet!

On my one and only dive/fly vacation I carefully packed the reg in the checked bag. I figured packing it securely there would protect it when they toss the suitcases around. As opposed to having it in the carry-on and having a flight attendant squeeze the Hell out of my flexible carry-on to fit something else in the above compartment--because everyone packs their carry-on so full so they don't exceed the 50 pound checked bag limit. Of course, when you used to get TWO checked bags with NO luggage fees at all, this "carry-on squeezing" didn't take place. Flying isn't what it used to be and sucks no matter which airline.

Ahh those were the days, baggage handlers could lift more than 23kgs as well! Ive never lost or had a checked in bag damaged but I just know my luck!

Of course, when you used to get TWO checked bags with NO luggage fees at all, this "carry-on squeezing" didn't take place. Flying isn't what it used to be and sucks no matter which airline.

Ahem... Southwest. Just sayin'.

I always carry my regs, mask, and computer in a backpack that stays with me at my seat (not in the overhead bin) and I've never had a problem. But I've only traveled around the US and Caribbean.

I keep everything except my BC in my carry-on and put it in an overhead across from my seat where I can see it. My BC simply won't fit in my carry-on but I'm working on that!

On my most recent two trips to Mexico (PVR and CUN) my carry-ons were not pulled out of the line for inspection and there was no Red/Green light button to push. We flew through immigration. They even asked us twice in Mexico (both airports) if we were TSA Pre-Select. I said "what does TSA Pre-Select have to do with Mexico" but they treated us as though we were in the US except I still had to take my laptop out for the X-ray machine. I would have thought that many trips to Mexico would make us more suspicious. Everything I have heard indicated that security is supposedly being beefed up at airports but our experience is just the opposite. We didn't even get the third degree at LAX, they simply asked if we had anything to declare. We did not have to fill out the immigration papers on the plane on the last two trips. The trip before that they didn't even collect the form.

all scuba gear are banned items according to them and are not allowed into cabin.

I'm curious about what is considered "scuba gear" and "banned". I carry on my data mask, Gecko, regulator and camera. If it's considered banned in the Philippines I wonder if it will soon be banned elsewhere. Or did you just run into an over-zealous agent who didn't know what they were talking about (as we did on our way home from Kona, where they confiscated lead weights, claiming they are clearly on the list of banned items - they're not!).

I don't want to pack my regulator because I don't want it dinged up en route. As long as it's with me I take care to baby it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom