Airline Carry-on recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh

Contributor
Reaction score
One more item on my "retiring the 35mm Niknos" project.

What I want to do is to keep on carrying my UW camera as my airline carry-on baggage.

What I'm looking for are recommendations on the "what works" ... as well as the "what doesn't work" ... for configurations similar to mine.

What I'm looking at getting packed up is:

1 x Ikelite dSLR housing
1 x Ikelite tray (with handles)

2 x Ikelite DS-160 strobes w/arms (Ultralite)

1 x 8" dome port
1 x modular flat port
1 x port body (#5510.22)

2 x camera lenses (relatively small: 60mm macro & 10-22mm zoom)
1 x dSLR camera body (pack inside the Ike housing?)

N x misc cords & other stuff

My current carry-on is a Tamrac "cyberpack 9"; what I found with it was that its interior compartment was roughly 13"W x 15"L, which meant that it didn't have enough 'length' for placing the 8" dome next to the Ike housing. It just goes downhill from there.

My expectations are that I'm probably going to have to go to a maximum FAA size hardside roll-on ... 22" x 14" x 9" or thereabouts. I do know that there is the Pelican 1600, but at 25" x 20" x 9", its simply too big to be an airline carry-on.

Any thoughts perhaps on the Porter Case PCII PHCS? Looks to be within size, but its unclear if all of the above kit will fit.

TIA,

-hh

With all the gear you are planning to carry, you may really want to get the FAA size photo trolley. Something like the delsey ODC61 on the soft-side, and a kata oc-84 for a hardside. They both meet the faa carry on regs.

Last edited:
I use a Storm i2500 with foam. Almost bullet-proof, but it won't hold all that stuff.

Can't tell you exactly which case to get but I can tell you hard cases weigh too much empty so you will be at a disadvantage before you even pack the camera gear. Many foreign airlines only allow 7 kilos (15 lbs) of one carry on.

With all that's going on I wouldn't even think of putting grease, desiccant or any other items that draw the attention/suspicion of TSA people in my carry-on.

We use the Think Tank bags, and most of that will fit fine. The problem will be the dome port. Put that inside your wetsuit in your dive gear.
Bill

Thanks for these suggestions.

In general, it looks like the 'default' configuration ends up sacrificing quite a bit of volume in order to provide thick padding. I've borrowed my wife's Briggs & Riley 23" roll-on to do a rough guesstimate (.jpg attachment) ... it looks like I need at least 18" x 14" x 8" interior, with the tray potentially being another one of the 'headache' pieces (unless I really want to disassemble it).

-hh

Attachments

• test_pack_2.jpg
    test_pack_2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 131
Delsey has roller trolley for photo in that size. I would look at adorama or bh to see what is available that fit your needs.

PS

23 inch will not meet the FAA rules. 20 inch is the max.

Fly Delta when you can. One carry-on and one 'personal' bag, like a camera bag , briefcase or laptop. No weight limit, as long as they fit in the overhead or under the seat.

just got my first DSLR system and I choose the Think Tank Airport Acceleration 2 after reading a lot of reviews here and wetpixel. it should fit everything you list except the dome. I was able to fit the following: D90 body, 60mm macro, 18-105, Nauticam housing, port base, flat port, 2 Inon strobes, hartenberger nano, arms, + filters and other assorted junk. I did have a situation where it had to go under my seat and it fit just fine with the laptop sleeve removed. comfortable as backpack (it weighed about 40lbs fully loaded)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom