Air2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamgs

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,
I asked this question within another Air2 post, but it may have gotten lost, so I will ask it in it's own post.

I have read numerous times in this board, about how the Air2 will not vent the BC while being used in a buddy ascent. Why is this so? Is it really more a case of it venting better if it is out of your mouth and held high?

Our DI didn't mention this limitation when we used the Air2 while performing our OOA skills.

Regards,

Gary

I have not used the Air2, however, from my point of view, as the pressure goes down in the BC bladder, your hose needs to be straighter to get the air out. If it is bent at a 90 degree angle into your mouth, I find it difficult to believe the venting would be very efficient. Thus my concern with this device.

I dive with a several hoses (4 right now) and keep nice and tidy when diving. It just seems to me the Air2 is a fix to a problem that does not really exist. The manufacturers push them on the LDS with the marketing scheme of one less hose, therefore a cleaner rig. I don't agree. But, that's me.

teamgs:
Greetings,
I asked this question within another Air2 post, but it may have gotten lost, so I will ask it in it's own post.

I have read numerous times in this board, about how the Air2 will not vent the BC while being used in a buddy ascent. Why is this so? Is it really more a case of it venting better if it is out of your mouth and held high?

Our DI didn't mention this limitation when we used the Air2 while performing our OOA skills.

Regards,

Gary

teamgs:
Greetings,

Regards,

Gary

I don't think it's a matter of "can't vent" during an OOA ascent, just that it is much more difficult in a REAL OOA situation for someone to control their bouyancy AND have to breath out of the same hose at the same time. It probably works fine in the pool, but when the sh*t hits the fan, additional task loading is not what you want at that moment.

teamgs:
Greetings,

Regards,

Gary

With a conventional set up you will be holding the deflator in your left hand and venting. With an Air2 device you will have it in your mouth, hold with left hand, take it out vent, put it back in. Reg removal recovery etc is taught ad nauseum during OW. If you are not comfortable with this then dont go this route. If you dont consider this a problem with task loading then not an issue. With proper gas mangement and dive planning it should not happen anyway. but 5h1t can and does happen and this is what you would need to deal with. if you are correclty weighted and with single tnaks there should not be much air to vent anyway, i am fortunate with tropical diving that my BC is largely empty most of the dive and would probably need very little to vent anyway.

The Air II is fine for rec diving. Even with an OOA situation it isn't that hard to manage. You would simply take it out of your mouth, vent, and then put it back in your mouth. (OOA diver would have your prime reg.) Just practice with your usual dive buddy or an instructor and you will be fine. As for S@#t hitting the fan, it doesn't really matter what equipment you are wearing you and your buddy just better know how to use it.

No need to even mess with the AIR 2... just tug on the hose and vent air via the dump valve at the base. That little doohickey sure is useful, most people forget its even there.

Depending on your bcd...or wing...there should not be a need to take the air2 out of your mouth. One option would be to GENTLY pull on the corrogated hose and use that venting stlye....the other would be to use a shoulder vent.

If you dont have or dont trust the "pull the hose" venting style...or your bcd/ wing does not have a shoulder vent....then i would recommend against using an air2...and i own one. Never put yourself in the position where you have to take your reg out of your mouth.....just my two cents.
rich

I like the Air II systems - and have not found it to be a problem in out of air situations...

The only problem right now - is ScubaPro just told me to not sell any of my Air II units... Some problem with them and they want to take them all back... Ooops. Registered owners will be notified of what's going on... and I'll post details as I get them.

the serial numbers of the recall would be nice to know larry...thanks

I am sure that since I have a second generation Air 2 that mine isn't in the recall. However, I almost never use my Air 2 to release air from my BC. I use the shoulder release valve. When I am ascending, it's the highest point on my BC anyway, so lifting my Air 2 to release air is just awkward. Looks silly, too. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom