Air2 or Octo... or Both??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerobanchee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I was looking at some BCs yesterday at my LDS and tried on a BC with Air2... It was the Seaquest Diva just so you know. I dont know if my school's diving program would allow that anyways, but I was wondering if it was better to have:

1. a long hose primary and the Air2 (with no octo)
2. primary and long hose octo (no Air2)

If those are my only options, I'd say #2. My preference is a 5 - 7' primary with a bungeed octo.

Having both an octo and air2 seems plain silly. If god wanted you dead bad enough that he kills two of your second stages, I promise he's going to kill the third one also.

Go with option 2. There's a thread a little ways down that speaks about this--might want to read that.

While my ScubaPro Air2 does not breath as nicely as most OCTOs I have tried I still prefer the concept over normal OCTO.

Be aware that if you do go with the air2 you are commited to donating your primary reg to some one who is out of air.........

What ever set up you use you need to be prepared for having someone grab your primary.... There for if your air share plan is based on donating your primary you are less likely to be caught off gaurd.........

Also the air2 is not going to be accidently dragging in the sand or hanging loose behind you cause it came loose from the clip - like you see alot of OCTO's doing....

Also you will have the Air2 in your hand several times during any dive so you will be very comfortable knowing you can find it..........

Now how long your primary should be is a completely different story - Mine is 4 foot and I put it under my arm - not over my shoulder - Tech guys use 7 foot hoses.

The ideal set up is suposed to be 7 foot primary - 3 foot octo - with octo hung around your neck.... I never liked it and use to have my octo velcroed to my right shoulder strap half way between my nipple and my shoulder blade.........

My primary reason for changing to AIR2 was to get rid of hoses. I use hoseless computers so my reg only has 2 hoses on it.

I plan on just diving with a harness covered in spare-airs so I can have 0 hoses :)

Just making a point... never understood the obsession with removing hoses (especially considering the added cost of getting rid of those hoses). It's not like they represent a large amount of drag compared to everything else we have to drag through the water. They are like the side-mirrors on a school bus, removing them doesn't make the bus aerodynamic.

The backup bungeed regulator hose is somewhere in the range of 22 to 26 inches, not 3 feet.

I DM on a reef with 85 deg water - 100 + ft vis - When I'm not working I dive with an old HealthWays double hose reg and my Citzen watch - no pressure guage - no Bc...........

Drag doesn't have anything to do with it....

Why do people fly gliders when airplanes are so much better.................

Sorry I get confused sometimes - always thought this sport was suposed to be FUN..

nerobanchee:
Hello,
I was looking at some BCs yesterday at my LDS and tried on a BC with Air2... It was the Seaquest Diva just so you know. I dont know if my school's diving program would allow that anyways, but I was wondering if it was better to have:

1. a long hose primary and the Air2 (with no octo)
2. primary and long hose octo (no Air2)
For what its worth, I have had both and now use an octo and scrapped the Air2. Actually I had a Genesis SideKick but the same concept as an Air2. I just never really felt good about it and after playing around on a SS I realized that
  1. Watching my computer
  2. Breathing though my Low Pressure inflator
  3. removing my regulator from my mouth to Adjust bouyancy
Was more task loading than I wanted in an emergency situation.
Keeping the reg in my mouth is much more comforting when all is going bad.
I would opt for #2 unless you have a very good reason not to go that route based on my experience.

FYI - I am converting my wifes reg back to a pimary and Octo configuration as well.

I have two Genesis SideKicks for sale. any takers :wink:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SideKick

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom