Air travel to Merida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I need to find cheap air travel to Merida, Mexico on the Yucatan to dive the cenotes. Also, what time of year would be cheaper to go, like during their off season? Any travel agent suggestions? Thanks everybody

The cheapest fares to Merida are with Viva Aerobus from Monterey. The problem is getting to Monterey. If you live in the Austin area, not too bad but otherwise you will have to probably go through Mexico City. You might look at flying into Cancun and going from there by bus.

Fly to Cancun, take the bus or rent a car to Merida, its not that far! but why not dive the cenotes in PDC or talum?

You will probably get the cheapest airfare to Cancun and, like the above poster said, it is not far to Merida. We rented a car when we went to Merida since we were traveling all over the Yucatan to visit Mayan sites. However, we have also traveled alot in Mexico by bus. They are cheap and nice and run frequently. You should have no problem catching a bus to Merida from Cancun.

If you are going there just for the cenotes, there are several along the road from Cancun to Tulum. Many dive operators run trips to the cenotes so you don't need to go to Merida to dive cenotes.

The cenotes along 307 from Cancun to Tulum are world class, if not the class of the world. Don't care much for the reefs along the coast, but the local cenotes are a completely different story. Three reasons to go to Merida, the colonial buildings, Mayan ruins at Uxmal and the museums. Just curious, but where did you hear that there was good cenote diving around Merida? My wife hate buildings, ruins and museums, but if there is good diving, then a trip may be in order.

Y We rented a car when we went to Merida since we were traveling all over the Yucatan to visit Mayan sites.

Hi Di,

Did you happen to see Ek Balam outside of Viladolid? If not, then it is a must see site. What they have found there is literally rewriting the books on Mayan art.

hmm...Sun Tzu, I like Driftwood

thanks billeelou, I'll forward this thread to my bud who's planning our trip

Tough to find a man how speaks so clearly and has been remembered for thousands of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom