air reserve on lp96 vs n80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to calculate how much gas is required to get you and your buddy from your deepest depth to the surface with all your stops included. This is different on every dive. You need to know both your and your buddy's stressed SAC rate to figure this out. If you don't know either, figure 1cft/min for each of you. Thus, you need to plan for an emergency ascent from your max depth with a 2 cft/min SCR.

A "rule of thumb" is 100 psi per 10 feet of depth plus a couple hundred psi so you don't end up breathing the tank dry and end up needing a VIP. This is not a great rule, but will likely get you and your buddy to the surface alive.

5615mike once bubbled...

Up through my AOW specifics such as this were never discussed. So, have others had such specifics discussed up through including AOW? Size of tanks, PSI vs. cft have never been brought up. Shed some light on this Mike. Are you saying you teach this info at this level? Is it a requirement or are you.....if you are.......doing it b/c you believe it is valuable info for students? I'm interested to know if I was short changed on my education to that point.

Unfortunately it isn't a requirement in a PADI (and others) OW class. Also, it isn't a requirement for an AOW class which includes a deep dive. Given that so many OW and AOW do go on deep dives, especially on charters, without knowing anything about gas management, I think this is borderline criminal. I teach it because I feel I have to.

The math is pretty simple because the relationship between volume and pressure is linear.

The math in the opening post is correct except that a LP steel 95 contains about 95 cu ft at 2640 (10% overfill) and most al 80's are rated at 3000 psi.

An easy way to quicly convert presure to volume for a specific tank is to know hoe many cu ft/100 psi you have for different tank sizes. I have that memorized for the tanks I frequently use but it's a good thing to keep on a page in your wet notes.

For example an al 80...77 cu ft/3000 psi * 100 = 2.56 cu ft/100 psi. i use 2.5 in my calculations.

So...500 psi is this much volume...5 * 2.5 cu ft/100 psi = about 12.5 cu ft.

When planning a dive given the depth we simply look at how much gas we need to get the buddy team back. Once we know what volume we want to reserve we just devide by 2.5 to find out how many hundred psi we need to reserve. I wouldn't use a presure much below 500 psi because gauges can be off and/or hard to read for small incriments.

How much gas do you use at depth? You know that at 33 ft (2 ATA) that it takes twice the gas to fill a flexable container to the same volume right.
[(depth/33) + 1] * surface consumption/minute will tell you how much gas you can expect to use per minute at a given depth. This BTW is in the PADI AOW text but they don't tell you what to do with it.

So, lets say we're doing a 100 ft dive where we can surface anyplace (like a quarry). We just need to reserve enough to get both divers to the surface (the easiest case).

How long to ascend if we want to ascend at 30 ft/minute?

100 ft/33 ft. minute = 3.33 (I use 4 minutes)

If the ascent is at a constant rate we can use the average depth to calculate consumption right?...50 ft

For this example lets use 1 cu ft/minute surface consumption (RMV). It keeps the math easy and it's more than most people actually use. 50/33 + 1 * 1 cu ft/minute * 4 minutes tells how much gas 1 diver will use during the ascent. In this case 10 cu ft. But we have 2 people so we need 20 cu ft right? That's because the worst case is that one of you suffer a total gas lost right before you would be ending the dive.

So...what presure do we need to reserve? 20 cu ft/2.5 cu ft/100 psi = 800 psi

For the sake of keeping it simple I didn't add in any safety stops. You can figure your 3 min at 15 ft or 1 @ 32, 20 and 10 or whatever you like.

You might also want to give yourself an extra minute at depth to get set up sharing air and actually begine the ascent also which BTW is another 4 cu ft per person so we're up to reserving 28 cu ft which is 1100 psi

If you figure a 3 min stop at 15 ft thats another 4 cu ft per diver so now we're up to 36 cu ft in reserve or 1400 psi.

What if you had to get back to you entry point before ascending?

This kind of makes an AL 80 look too small for going to 100 ft doesn't it?

For very shallow dives 500 psi might work but it's easy to see that for deeper dives that isn't even close to enough to get both divers up (in a healthy way) in a worst case situation.

Mech Diver, we seem to have a communication problem here.

I never said PSI is the amount of breathable gas in your tank, I know PSI is not volume of air in your tank, thats my point of this thread, 500psi in an 80 is not the same amount of air as 500 psi in a 95, I am well aware of that, thats the point of the conversion.

If I was diving a tank that was 300 cubic feet @ 1000 psi it would be INSANE to have a reserve of 500 psi, (not that such a tank is usable for scuba, but I need to exagerate this) it will take just as much time to breath off the 500psi from an 80 as it would take to breathe off the 325 psi in a 95, different pressures, same amount of air.

So due to the gauges accuracy, reserve should hang around 500 psi still even if your on a high volume, low presure tank.

NOTE:

I'm not talking about gas mangement to do cave, deep dive, deco dive, this thread was to compare an 80 to a 95, thats it, its not about gas management. If you want to start a thread about gas management please do, but please do not come on to this thread telling me a need to re evaluate my diving style, I DID NOT START THIS THREAD TO TALK ABOUT DIVING STYLE OR GAS MANAGEMENT I STRESS THIS

it was a question about gas volumes versus pressure in two different sized tanks!!!

Mike, great post, thanks.

There is no substitute for acutally observing and building some actual experience. For example on a recent dive I came off the bottom at 130 ft with 1300 psi. (the basic 100 psi for every 10 ft rule) After a 30 fpm ascent with a 1 min stop at 65 ft, and a 1 min stop at 30', a 3 min stop at 20' and a 1 min stop at 10' , I had 900 psi remaining and had used 400 psi on the ascent inlcuding what it took to inflate the wing at the surface.

This was under good cold water conditions with an ascent line and is best case but gives me a real life starting number instead of a lot of approximated math. Figuring consumption rates is fine, but it is also valuable now and then to see what you really use.

This was pretty reassuring as it suggests I could in fact bring a buddy up from 130 ft with normal saftey stops with a 500 psi saftey margin if he/she has air consumption similar to mine. And I could still do it (with very little margin) even if the buddy's air consumption were twice as high as mine.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off into left field.

Did we get all the pressure/volume questions answered?

FIXXERVI6 once bubbled...
So due to the gauges accuracy, reserve should hang around 500 psi still even if your on a high volume, low presure tank.

NOTE:

I'm not talking about gas mangement to do cave, deep dive, deco dive, this thread was to compare an 80 to a 95, thats it, its not about gas management. If you want to start a thread about gas management please do, but please do not come on to this thread telling me a need to re evaluate my diving style, I DID NOT START THIS THREAD TO TALK ABOUT DIVING STYLE OR GAS MANAGEMENT I STRESS THIS

it was a question about gas volumes versus pressure in two different sized tanks!!!

Mike, great post, thanks.

Gas management is exactly what you are attempting to discuss. The fact that you don't know that is not my fault for trying to help you.
I need a bigger ignore file

I have met a lot of cool people on this board mech, your not one of them.

Maybe I should have worded my question a bit differently, I tried to claify that, if you didn't catch it, go back and read it AGAIN and AGAIN, let me know if you need me to draw a picture so you can understand it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom