Air Integrated Computer - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nv:
Makes a but more sense when you look at it from that angle; especially in terms of elevating HR. Is this due to the fact that you are using using more effort causing nitrogen to store in the body more? Either swimming faster etc..has more places to store?
Nothing like that would have any effect whatsoever.

As I said above, the only theoretical effect I know of would involve increased blood flow carrying nitrogen in the blood more efficiently. But there would still be the same amount of nitrogen in the blood going through the same tissues, so there should not be a whole lot of difference in the rate of diffusion.

While some people SUGGEST that increased workload MIGHT cause an increase in ongassing because of increased blood flow (perfusion) to the tissues, that HYPOTHESIS is disputed because the rate of diffusion into the tissues should still depend more on tissue constitution than perfusion. The same HYPOTHESIS would suggest that increased workload during ascent will increase the rate of offgassing. It will not depend to any degree whatsoever on breathing rate.

Note that this is all opinion that is held by some people but disputed by others. If there is a single scientific study done on this topic, I am not aware of it. If wee are talking about guesses and hypotheses, the hyothesis of this writer is that the Uwatec product described above it peddling a very debatable and expensive feature that has no real purpose.

I'm convinced that increased workload increases nitrogen uptake. Have an excellent paper on that somewhere but can't find it t the moment. Google did find this: The influence of Exercise on the Venous Gas Emboli in Dogs Decompressed from a Hyperbaric Environment. (I will confess to not reading all of it!)

I can rationalize workload increasing N2 uptake as follows (I have NO idea as to the physical reality of this)

IF (and that might be a big IF) the blood passing through the lungs (or at least the blood very closest to the gas in the lungs) is saturated, then the more blood passing through the lungs, the more nitrogen will be absorbed.
Higher workload,more blood passing through lungs more N2 absorbed.
Looking at it slightly differently: The slower the blood is moving,the longer a particular volume of blood will be in the lungs,so the closer to saturation it will be and hence the less N2 it will be absorbing (When saturated it will not take up any more nitrogen)
If the blood is pumping really fast there will be a constant supply of fresh blood with little nitrogen in it.This will absorb more nitrogen than the slow moving,saturated blood.Hence N2 uptake will be greater.

Edit: Found the paper I mentioned. http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/handle/123456789/2981
"Exercise during a dive increased the volume of nitrogen eliminated after the dive"
This changed my thinking on this question.

I've seen another Suunto wireless pair (computer and sender) which consistently reports about 10% less pressure than actual. Try your computer with a different sender unit to check, but I suspect the fault is in the sender. If it's still under warranty then Sunnto should replace it for you.

Hope that helps,
Bryan

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

Thank you, I will :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom