Air in Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you are wearing alot of lead. I have to say, that neoprene drysuits are much different than trilam drysuits (neoprene being buoyant). If the suit fits properly, then you might have too much air in the suit, or its just the neoprene being very buoyant. Have you tried gaiters? It sounds like you are venting the suit of all air before you go in the water (make sure you do this without the weight belt on, like mentioned above).
It may just take a few more dives to get used to the drysuit. It is a new piece of equipment and you need to adjust to it.

Also, I have to echo the question mentioned above, did you take a drysuit course???

Nope didn't take the drysuit course. I will be taking that when I go to NFLD in July along with my advanced<even though I have 29 dives and all the required dives for the advanced>. My dive Buddy has and he's teaching me for now. I will keep the ankle weights for now, and will add 10lbs to my belt.. I have been told it'sbetter to be heavy then too light. I am not using my suit for bouyancy, I am still using my BCD to control that. But I do need more practice with the suit.. BIG time.. THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP!! :)

Try Turtle fins or Scubapro XXL Jetfins. They are negative. Try to get rid of the ankle weights as quickly as you can. Gaiters may help keep the air out of your leg and boot areas. Drysuits take some time. I'm still feeling mine out after 20 dives.
The course was a big help and does a lot for your confidence.
Good Luck

I have orderd the Dacor Panther Fins in SM, and Medium, a Large is too big. I have a size 7 mens boot on my suit. I would love to get the jet fins but out of my budget. May be later down the road. Thanks... I did figure out one problem.. though We don't have an ascent line when my buddy and I dive the point it's a shore dive so we don't need it.. but upon ascent I didn't stay vertical as much as I could because we were following the terraine and heading towards the beach.. So I stayed on a semi horizontal plane, I could vent.. but I didn't vent enough... oh well.. will get the hang of it soon enough. going to dive a few times in March. Thanks again.

Firediver:
I have orderd the Dacor Panther Fins in SM, and Medium, a Large is too big. I have a size 7 mens boot on my suit. I would love to get the jet fins but out of my budget. May be later down the road. Thanks... I did figure out one problem.. though We don't have an ascent line when my buddy and I dive the point it's a shore dive so we don't need it.. but upon ascent I didn't stay vertical as much as I could because we were following the terraine and heading towards the beach.. So I stayed on a semi horizontal plane, I could vent.. but I didn't vent enough... oh well.. will get the hang of it soon enough. going to dive a few times in March. Thanks again.

This is one of the things that you will be taught in the course. At least you figured it out before it is too late. I have seen people get into real trouble by letting themselves get out of control.

As you have firgured out, dry suits are a different animal than wet suits.

Just be careful and try to loose some of that weight as soon as you can. There is such a being over weighted.

Good Luck and stick with it.

Firediver:
Nope didn't take the drysuit course. I will be taking that when I go to NFLD in July along with my advanced<even though I have 29 dives and all the required dives for the advanced>. My dive Buddy has and he's teaching me for now. I will keep the ankle weights for now, and will add 10lbs to my belt.. I have been told it'sbetter to be heavy then too light. I am not using my suit for bouyancy, I am still using my BCD to control that. But I do need more practice with the suit.. BIG time.. THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP!! :)

Whoooah... big mistake!

Go to an Instructor qualified to teach the Specialty.

Do not pass go.

Do not collect $200.

Do not dive again in your drysuit until you've been properly trained how to safely & effectively use the suit by said Instructor!

Just be thankful you weren't hurt during your little "joyride". It could have been worse than merely embarrassing. A lot worse.

Gotcha.. I hope to loose some weight.. at least 6lbs.... but right now It's easier to remove weight then add on.. So I am going heavy for a bit first then make adjustments as I get used to the suit...like you said it is a completely different animal then a wetsuit. I just can't wait to get out again. As for the fins, I am going to test them out in a swimming pool to get used to them....

SubMariner:
Whoooah... big mistake!

Go to an Instructor qualified to teach the Specialty.

Do not pass go.

Do not collect $200.

Do not dive again in your drysuit until you've been properly trained how to safely & effectively use the suit by said Instructor!

Just be thankful you weren't hurt during your little "joyride". It could have been worse than merely embarrassing. A lot worse.
won't collect $200 for sure.. but as for the course $$$ got none to pay for it as it's spent on the suit. My dive Buddy is teaching me how to use the suit safely, the only issue which was at fault to me was not venting properly.. and not staying vertical during my ascent. I know that my little JOYRIDE could of been worse and I also know that it's not a good thing to go feet first.. I was only at 15ft and the 60ft dive was only for a couple min to allow me to get a feel for the suit and the squeeze, never went passed 60ft and had neutral bouyancy at depth. Only ran into the problem at 15ft and not 60ft. I had the problem trying to get down to 15ft even after sqeezing all the air out of the suit on land and in the water.. so I knew I was going to have an issue on acsent.

Yes a drysuit course would be helpful RIGHT NOW, my dive buddy is comfortable teaching me and i am a very fast learner. I came to the board to ask questions about DS, air in feet, did all the research, asked my buddy tons of questions aswell before ordering the suit. I knew what I was getting into and realized that the DS is a totally different way of diving compared to a wet suit.

I plan to take a DS course in the Summer while on my dive vacation but before then I will just keep doing shallow dives until I am comfortable with the suit, and when I go to NL this summer ifI still haven't ironed out all my issues with he suit I will take the DS course and do the advance course.. oh I forgot to mention I have been diving only for 2 years, still only have my beginner cert.. and now I am diving dry...to me that's a good accomplishment.

I guess it sounds to me like I am babbling and don't wish to take the advice as those here on the board. But I am and looking into other options, along with taking the advice into consideration I recieve here.

Thanks ALL

Firediver:
won't collect $200 for sure.. but as for the course $$$ got none to pay for it as it's spent on the suit. My dive Buddy is teaching me how to use the suit safely, the only issue which was at fault to me was not venting properly.. and not staying vertical during my ascent.

FD, how much do you think a drysuit course costs? If it's more than 100-150 Loonies I'd be very surprised. Isn't your safety worth that small investment?

Your buddy, bless him, is NOT qualified to teach the Specialty. If he was an Instructor he'd have taught you about tuck n roll, halted that nasty ascent, and generally kept you from getting into such a potentially harmful situation.

Again, I'm not wanting to put you down, but ANY dive you make without proper training in that suit is dangerous.

I do care about my safety, the courses offered here are $150 and offered by two shops here one I don't trust especially when they tell you they had a feet first ascent from 50 feet and they have been diving for 20 years most of those diving dry. IF I could of reached my feet I would of tucked and rolled..would of done anything to keep the air out of my feet...Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom