Air from regulator into dry suit hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello all ... On occasion I get regulator air into my dry suit hood. I tip my head down and scrunch a few times and eventually it seals. I have heard petroleum jelly can be used to seal around the obvious facial entrance spots. Any ideas about this besides venting ?

hello all ... On occasion I get regulator air into my dry suit hood. I tip my head down and scrunch a few times and eventually it seals. I have heard petroleum jelly can be used to seal around the obvious facial entrance spots. Any ideas about this besides venting ?
Perhaps a tighter hood? There is no way any air could get between my hood and my big noggin'

Most likely your mask has come between your forehead and your hood, and you unconsciously exhale through your nose.

Personally... If I feel cold, I try to get a bit of air into my hood. It isolates quite well :D

I ended up poking a small hole at the rear top of my hoods to allow trapped air escape. Just use a nail or coat hanger and heat it with a lighter then push it through. A tiny hole is all you need and no issues in 37*F/3*C waters.

You might consider a new hood that fits better. I had this same issue for years with an older Bare hood and just lived with needing to push a bubble out a couple of times per dive. However, the problem went away entirely when I bought a new Waterproof hood.

Once in a blue moon I still get "bubble head". Very rarely...same hood all the time. On rare occasions (very rare), I get a tiny bit of water in the mask. Again, same mask--perfectly seated. Maybe a bit of air out the nose? But why not more than once every 50 dives? Some things remain mysteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom